Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've heard people say it is illegal to own because there is no legal channel to get this stuff, but it this an actual fact? I have seen it offered for sale here and there, but it's way too expensive to be something I want to shoot. Pulling the trigger on a round that cost me $30 would be real hard to swallow!

So what is to keep someone from painting a green tip on regular ball, make a killing selling it (I don't suppose it is illegal to SAY something is Raufoss, is it?) and then vanish into the wood work?

If you are holding a round in your hand, how can you tell if it is the real thing or not? Just in case I get stupid one day and decide to buy a few at some gun show if they show up there.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I talked to a guy that was selling some of the .50BMG Raufoss ammo. He told me it was all legit and was LEO surplus. So what the heck.... I ordered some.

Showed up in a nice ammo can and had a bill of sale with the guy's contact info and a statement that it is all legal.

Now, will I shoot this stuff or not?? I guess I should just to see what it looks like on impact. Supposed to be rather *interesting*.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Rich,,

So this 50cal you are talking about, the sweet looking one you posted pics of...

Can't you just reload your own shells? What's so special about the ammo? (Besides the fact that it dwarfs my 30-06...) I saw in other threads that you said it was hard to get a hold of.

Ever learning,
Michael

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The projectiles are rather interesting. Take a look at this website:

Raufoss ammo (.50BMG)

Notice the results after hitting the first and subsequent steel plates. Look closely at the second plate and notice the obvious burn marks on it. Whereas standard API will put a single hole through the multiple plates, Raufoss penetrates, flames, fragments and each fragment will also penetrate mild armor.

The Raufoss is an attempt to put 20mm punch into a .50 caliber bullet.

When I talked to the guy I bought this stuff from, he said that the projectiles are ONLY made in Norway and they are not sold to the public. Of course, in time maybe they will be. He also mentioned that so far as he knows, all attempts to manufacture them in the USA have failed.

If I had more money to spend, I would buy more of them. But heck, maybe next year they will be a dime a dozen....

Yes, I do reload the .50BMG, and if I could get those projectiles I would have done it that way.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Rich Z, I had to look it up but when I did I found this interesting page, your probibly framiler with: http://www.barrettrifles.com/test_explosive.html
Only to come back and find your above explaination!;) Anyway, you could possibly test the proj. w/a magnet to locate the steel cup vs. a steel core?
anodes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sweet facny moses!
Now I know why you wouldn't be able to make those loads youself. I had no idea such things existed.

I wonder how much of a deer would be left if you used them for hunting. I wonder if the impact on flesh would be enough to cause the charge to go off?

Hmmm.

Thanks,
Michael

PS- If you guys haven't noticed yet, I shoot my guns, and I shoot them good enough for hunting, but I really don't know too much about them and/or the ammunition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have "played" with the Raufoss ammo in the quest of knowledge a few years back. The two genuine rounds were alledged to be 90 bucks a piece.......but I think "that" was sensationalized for bragging rights......as I bought a pair at a gun show much later for $19.00 each. They had the same head stamp of WCC 94 and the heavy cardboard protective tube over the bullet.Interestingly,the Raufoss didn't make it thru a 2" plate.It burrowed a 30 cal size hole in it and left a small dimple on the back side with plenty of soot on the front side.Oddly,a two bit Dominican Republic yellow tip AP round,head stamp 50-58 (banned from competition due to tumbling of the live rounds)all but went thru the same plate and made a large dent on the back side........like just a little more snot and it would have pierced it! A Hornady A-Max jacket full of #9 shot is more(and cheaper) fun.It will totally vaporize a gallon tin can of water at 50 yards.:D :D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Oops - posted on wrong thread. I'll move it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts