Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a picture of my re-constituted range, targets at 25, 50, and 100 yards. The 50 is just for .22's. I have cut logs for the 100 yard backstop plus the ridge itself. Any suggestions on strengthening it? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Terry, what do you mean by strengthening it? BTW, it looks great! (envy)

RIKA

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Sandbags for a backstop?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Terry?Do you have access to some kind of tractor or a pick up that'll get back there?

A farmer friend of mine made a backstop out of logs in a "crib" shape.He filled the crib with gravel about 1in in dia.

So far,nothings gotten through.Although the facing logs get a bit beat up if you don't move the poa around.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I did mean strengthening the back stop. There's nothing back there but my own land, but there are rocks in the ridge. The lawn tractor I have hauls stuff up there with no problem. Right now there's a stack of logs extending two feet over the target frame and about eight feet of earth above that. Still, I don't wan't any richochets. 7MM Magnums, 30/06's, and 8mm Mausers can go a long way.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I think that Jeff's gravel idea is a good one. Railroad ties or even old telephone poles that you could cut up would be good too. Sandbags always work if you have a company of men to fill them. Course if you have free trees I would just reinforce with them.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe another layer of logs, with compacted earth between the layers?

Also, if you want to keep the noise down, get 8-10 old trailer type tires, lined up to shoot through. It does a good job keeping the noise down, it acts like a baffle.

If you do this wear ear protection. It will hurt if you dont, believe me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts