Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while 30 Carbine ball just makes guys want to quit. Face, it, old man, you are hoist on your own petard.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
How big an exit wound do you consider to be blowing a chest open?

I'd really like to know, having shot all kinds of critters with .223's. I think it's a definition thing.

I don't consider a 2-3" exit wound all that spectacular, so I'm just wondering what your criteria is.

('cause I bet my .280, my .308, or my .338 make bigger exit wounds.)

:devil:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Aslan said:
How big an exit wound do you consider to be blowing a chest open?

I'd really like to know, having shot all kinds of critters with .223's. I think it's a definition thing.

I don't consider a 2-3" exit wound all that spectacular, so I'm just wondering what your criteria is.

('cause I bet my .280, my .308, or my .338 make bigger exit wounds.)

With lighter weight bullets(for those rounds) larger frontal area and a hole sh!t load more energy / velocity I bet they would tear a human to shreds. I just shake thinking how powerful that .338 you got is and how far you can project that power with a 200/225 grain bullet. Anything that will flatten an elk or a moose with one well placed shot deserves respect.

Funny a fellow who I work with (who is a good friend) does quite a bit of varmint shooting on chucks up here in Canada in the summer and he sold his .223 because it was not reliable enough at longer ranges for big chucks on his parents farm. He now has a 220 swift and says he has increased his kill range by about 150 yards on average.One thing for for sure Brian can shoot and I mean this man can shoot and I am jealous of his skills (then again he shoots a fair bit all year round) Some people I think are born with the mental computer for judging long range shooting and he is one of them.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I regret not going with a 22-250 or a 220 swift for varmints, but wanted to keep my rifle calibers to a minimum. (.223, .280, .308, .338) Two military and two civilian.

The .223 is effective, within it's envelope. You don't want to cripple it by going to too short a barrel (like 10").

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Right Aslan. Gunkids 11" POS (I'll skip calling it a CAR as it surely isn't even a true rifle) is like a unich. Looks good but no performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts