1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
To be honest, I have become more concerned about getting the solvents on my hands lately. Many materials can be carried through the skin via solvents and into the blood stream. Hate to seem like a wussy wearing rubber gloves when I clean my guns, but I am thinking seriously about doing that.... Of course, I will probably find out that what I have been doing for the past 20 years or so has already done the damage.....

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've often wondered if I should be wearing a cartridge mask @ my local range.

Good post Garand.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually Rich when I clean my handguns these days I wear the Surgical gloves also. It makes personal cleanup easier and you can get gloves that are resistant to many chemicals.

·
Registered
296 Posts
not sure about all the gun cleaning solvents....
when completely stripping the steel (or aluminum).....lets just say metal ...lol...of all oils prior to refinishing them or to get some of the strange stuff off of em...like one i bought at a yard sale here in AZ was covered in...red axle grease. i have gotten into the habit of using acetone and MEK (methel ethel keytone....bad stuff) i do know that the acetone allows most other chemicals to pass right through your skin. i am much more careful these days then when i 1st started out and only thought that i would do it "this one time" lol
sean

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I often wonder if those that cast ALOT of bullets should have themselves tested for lead content in their system, if it is practicle to do so.

No flaming or joking here but I have often wondered if andy is not suffereing from some of the effects of it. Considering how much bullet casting he has claimed to do.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I was still in the Army, as an RSO I was required to have a blood check every 6 months. It does ward off medical problems if you shoot indoor and reload lead without precautions.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
the fact of the matter [from my view] is you are what you DO you are what you EAT/INGEST
i made a post /claim about reloadin' the.38 for 2.5cents per rd. recently
i didn't state that my cast bullets/projo's were rejects from a old man who casted alot of projo's[come to think about it, his whole clan was ODD!]
but a friends a friend till the end[in my book anyway]
he was retired air-force, and developed an obsenely large growth on his neck/under his jaw[he's long dead/passed on now] any way he made it a point to steer me clear of casting of lead bullets,as i think he knew of the effects.

i had another friend out hear and we made synthetic turquoise in a homemade 'pressure pump /shot-tube' ha! that dude was cool,as his claim to the "joint" was smash/grab with the ass-end of a stolen car[in the 50's]
of movie theaters/bowling alleys, and load up the cigarettes/candy machines
aggguhum,! anyway his brother-in-law brought him into it and showed him the reciepe/sequence/steps, and then propmtly died from cancer, he was gettin' along not to well when i knew him, as that chemical shit we'd mix up
WAS NOT HEALTHY! and he was always real secretive about the catalst
[the mixture of the hardener in the reciepe a 3 part solution]
he was funded by a **** from thiland[he paid the rent /light bills/ at the shop, and would come and get about75%of the product on a regular basis.
..where the hell was i?....
any way that was NOT a good enviroment, to be hangin' around for very long!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Garand what type of gloves are you using? are they a pvc based or are they rubber? Natural rubber( latex) does not provide a good barrier against any hydrocarbon based solvents. Neoprene (isoprene or polyisoprene) Is an improvement over latex but only with lubricationg oils same goes for nitrile based gloves. If you want superior protection from dermal absorbtion of those nasty solvents you should look to viton gloves(floro elastomer) in a surgical style. The resist most aromatic and destilled hydrocarbons including MEK Toluene so on and so forth. They also work if you are using cloronated solvents tricloroethelene/ethane methylenechloride and such.

I figure you must have ample experience with various natural and synthetic gloves working with explosives. There are a couple of specially compounded pvc/urethane types that will work as well but they are expensive for single use.Acklands usally has stock on viton and they are worth the money. I use them a lot at work and they do work the best.

The above is a hint as to what I do for a living bet you get it in one try.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use 2 types of gloves

For lead I use Ansell disposable Latex Gloves and for solvents I'm using N-Dex non latex exam gloves which are 100% Nitrile (www.bestglove.com)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I always wear gloves when cleaning weapons. That solvent can make you very sick... Nothing sissy about wearing gloves against chemicals guys.

Mike

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gunkid, you have no need to worry about either lead or solvents, after all your brain dead already!!

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Garand said:
I use 2 types of gloves

For lead I use Ansell disposable Latex Gloves and for solvents I'm using N-Dex non latex exam gloves which are 100% Nitrile (www.bestglove.com)

A very smart man indeed like I always say your liver is your buddy help him out whenever you can.

·
Registered
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently the gloves work, early this week had a routine medical done and 16 years later no liver problems. I tend to think that Melvin did a lot of casting in confined spaces with no gloves when he was younger.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Yeah and him being a wannabe cocaine cowboy.
Also growing up in farmland if there were any old apple orchards nearby any of the places he lived as either a child or adult there could be poisoning from pesticide like arsenic based ones.
One friend of mine tested positive for it after living in the suburbs of Appleton WI.
Plus the area he lives in now used to have a bunch of vineyards and orchards also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts