Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me advice one reloaders for the .50 cal? I heard the lee press sucks and the RCBS one is pretty good. I was leaning towards the hornady press so any information on presses would be greatly appreciated. I know it won't save much money but I want to reload for the accuracy standpoint. I definitely want to get as much as I can out of my M99 Barrett.
Thanks,
Lary

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I have an RCBS press, but been a while since I've done any reloading.

I do remember that the RCBS reloading dies got sent back after I used them for just a short bit. The decapping pin in the sizer die just would not hold up. For the life of my I can't remember where I got the present die set from, however...... :shrugs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. I was looking into getting one of those Hornady sets for the .50 with the dies, shell holders, and all the other good stuff you need to reload that round. I looked into getting the pieces separately and they just cost way more then any other die that it's ridiculous. Getting the whole set in one seems to be the way to ge to save money. Then again I am a believer in you get what you pay for. They might give you the rejects in the kit and the good dies when you buy them separately. I just don't have the money to buy different ones and experiment. If I did I would probably just buy match grade bullets and be done with it. How are the warranties on the RCBS dies when you had to send them back?
Thanks,
Lary

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I believe it was either a 30 or 60 day warranty. But unless they fixed the problem with the decapping pin breakage, don't waste your time. The decapping pins were just too thin and would bend and/or break after just three rounds were sized.

Also, make sure the case lube is up to snuff. Seems to me I had to use something akin to wax rather than the more typical case lubes with the .50BMG cartridges.

Also, beware of the once fired cases you buy. I heard that those fired in some machine guns were more susceptible to case head separation because of excessive headspacing in the full auto weapons. That warning may have applied to a specific weapon, but I just can't recall at this point. But a case head separation in a .50BMG would NOT be pleasant to experience, I am sure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts