Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for specialized hunting and fighting ammo, unless you drop about a grand on a Dillion 1050, anyway. With a single station press, 150 rds an hour is really moving, to save a typical 2-3c a shot, that means you are working your butt off for $5 an hour. YOu'd be ahead to do odd jobs, charging a mere $10 an hour.

Milsurp, or Black hills "remanufactured" match ammo is all you need for practice and even matches. No more big game hunting than anyone does, he can easily afford to pay $2 a round for his hunting ammo. 100 shots a year would be some millionaire who got to shoot on private preserves.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, reloading to most people is part of the "hobby". A hobby, by definition of most spouses, is supposed to be a time waster and not cost effective. People do it because they enjoy doing it.

Plus it is rather rewarding to roll your own and come up with a really decent load that your gun particularly likes.

Heck if you want to get right down to it, even having guns for self defense is really not cost effective. What are the odds that you would really use one in a self defensive situation? In most people's cases? Pretty darn slim, I would imagine. Hell, I have bought guns I have never fired and may never do so. How logical is that?

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't think of a one, out of 200+

that I didn't shoot, almost always on the day I bought it. I had years that I fired at LEAST one shot a day, sometimes up into the air, out of my car window, just to be able to say that I'd "shot" that day. :)

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I can shoot right off of my own porch if I want to, yet I still can't find the time to do that.

But I did take the time to fire my Beretta FP1201 yesterday for the first time. Had it about 3 years now. People said it kicks pretty hard, and I have to agree. Probably because it is rather light weight. Feels pretty quick handling and comfortable to carry, but not something you want to just shoot for fun. I was shooting the #2 Federal Tungsten loads, so they aren't all that hefty.

Heck I guess I could spend more time shooting if I wasn't behind this keyboard so much.....

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd love to shoot more, as well, and to

backpack and hunt, and I intend to change things so that I can do so, by this coming winter. I will just about cease to have a presence on the Net, cause I'll be too busy having fun and earning a living in a brand new way (taking about half as much time as does my current job.)

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
And look how Melvin moved on!

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
reloading's a waste of time, except for specialized hunting and fighting ammo, unless you drop about a grand on a Dillion 1050, anyway...
??? :unhappy:

I use Lee progressives, and the three of them I have (one each set up for three different calibers) cost a total of $567 combined; $189 apiece. And that even included carbide dies in all three calibers. They're simple, they work, and they crank out hundreds of rounds per hour.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
for specialized hunting and fighting ammo, unless you drop about a grand on a Dillion 1050, anyway. With a single station press, 150 rds an hour is really moving, to save a typical 2-3c a shot, that means you are working your butt off for $5 an hour. YOu'd be ahead to do odd jobs, charging a mere $10 an hour.

Milsurp, or Black hills "remanufactured" match ammo is all you need for practice and even matches. No more big game hunting than anyone does, he can easily afford to pay $2 a round for his hunting ammo. 100 shots a year would be some millionaire who got to shoot on private preserves.

I enjoy hand loading, and at todays prices it is quite a big savings.

I do stuff in stages and batches, so I can reload a lot of ammo in a sitting.

I do it because I can, not because I have to. I also get rounds that are extremely accurate for all my rifles.

Who is "he", and what big game is "he" hunting?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
backpack and hunt, and I intend to change things so that I can do so, by this coming winter. I will just about cease to have a presence on the Net, cause I'll be too busy having fun and earning a living in a brand new way (taking about half as much time as does my current job.)
and you haven't done any of those things...not a single one.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
...I had years that I fired at LEAST one shot a day, sometimes up into the air, out of my car window, just to be able to say that I'd "shot" that day. :)
I hadn't read that one earlier. :laugh:

That's a little like saying, "I ate poop, just so I could say I ate that day."

Reactions: BigEd
1 - 11 of 11 Posts