Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually stopped to look at a very nice pair of these tonight.I did a wee bit of Googling after I got home.I was shocked to see that they were as old as they were.Also that they were in such good condition.That the were a J.M.Browning design.& that the were priced about 2/3 of what is listed on both Gunbroker & Guns America.

I'm getting interested.... :)

Anyone w/expierience w/one of these?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figures,no one here has even heard of this one before,huh?

:bawling:

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Sorry, never heard of a Remington 81; no help here.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Googled:

Description: Autoloading Rifle
Introduction Year: 1936

Year Discontinued: 1950

Total Production: Approximately: 55,581

Designer/Inventor: C.C. Loomis

Action Type: Autoloading

Caliber/Gauge: .300 Savage, .30 Remington, .32 Remington, .35 Remington

Serial Number Blocks:
Starting: N/A
Ending: N/A

# of Grades Offered:
81A Standard
81C Special (changed to 81B)
81D Peerless
81E Expert
81F Premier

Variations:
No. 14 ½R Carbine (with 18 ½" barrel)

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Now I feel reeealy stoooopid.Rem 81, a variant of the Rem mod 8. Duhhh... :headbang:

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
i thought as much[.35rem] but wasn't for certain

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*giggle/snort*
LOL!I didn't plan on this being a trivia question!

That local store has two.Both look new!One is a .35 Rem & the other is a 300 Savage.
I might end up with both.

I can picture a mid-fifties Field & Stream cover w/a red & black plaid wearing Pennsylvania deer/bear hunter leaning on his Remington 81 while smoking his pipe.Kind of a Norman Rockwell moment.Warm,fuzzy feelings abound.

Don't look at me like that! :nyah:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
I just figured it was a typo about the Model 8,

either that, or your ignorance about it led you to post the wrong model #. Why care about obsolete old pos's, anyway? Heavy, half assed old calibers, probably can't get parts for it, no scope mounts available, recoiling barrel, etc. It was good enough for Hamer to kill Bonnie and Clyde with, but those fools "thought" a sawed off shotgun was the ultimate gun for a firefight.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
andy said:
Why care about obsolete old pos's, anyway?
#1 'cause I can.

#2 "old pos'" has other connotations than just a gun reference.Might do to keep that in mind.

Thanks though. :)

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
41mag said:
*giggle/snort*
LOL!I can picture a mid-fifties Field & Stream cover w/a red & black plaid wearing Pennsylvania deer/bear hunter leaning on his Remington 81 while smoking his pipe.Kind of a Norman Rockwell moment.Warm,fuzzy feelings abound.

Don't look at me like that! :nyah:
I like that visual too Jeff. That kind of stuff makes it all worthwhile.

Go for it. :beer:

RIKA :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Remington mdl 8and 81

Frank Hamer carried the model 8 the 81 was a newer model of the same basic rifle, Would be hard to find a better woods rifle today! Wish I was still in possesion of mine, as for spares you gotta break somethin first scopes ?
In heavens name why encumber such a quick handlin rifle with such? In .35 Rem it is bout all you could ask go for it!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well,since I have four SKS's I can practice w/the cheap rounds & save the good gun for serious work.Right Andy?
:crazy1:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
why not just use the sks for the "serious" work. What you'd better do is dump a couple of them, and get luminous sights, folding-stock and trigger job on the "carry" sks, and do nearly all the practicing with the other one.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
andy said:
why not just use the sks for the "serious" work. What you'd better do is dump a couple of them, and get luminous sights, folding-stock and trigger job on the "carry" sks, and do nearly all the practicing with the other one.
Yugoslavian SKS's come with luminous sights. You don't know as much as you think you do. It also comes with a gas cut-off, which makes it perfect for use with a "can". Didn't know that either, did you?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Andy;Happy to disagree with you on this!Paper balistics may be fun to play with but when facing a wild hog at x feet, somehow SOMETHING seems to get lost in the equation! Personally the (only) way I might use an sks on these fellars would be with a scope and a treestand so I wouldn't end up feedin My "mast" to the rapacious vermin!
Personally I havent in the least felt overbored with a .303!Which though gives up,as a woods rifle,much to the Rem mdl 8,as it was just longer than my arm "slightly"muzzle heavy,which made for a good "swing" and equipped with a lyman aperature rear sight,gave a fast target aquisition,and no excuses on target!Should you wish to try this yourself,with a sks, the LAST thing you should attempt would be a broadside as your liable just to increase his appetite along with his adrenaline! Yes they can and have and prolly always will be taken by .22's,by people who know and understand how!
Myself I have taken with a sheath knife USN Mk1,but said then as now,all accolades go to the pit bull that kept him occupied at the time. "use enuff gun" ok?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
RIGHT ON! robert garner, HA! would you wish to intenerat[s.p] ADD!

about the pit-bull/hog killing w/navy knive?

i , for [1] would love to hear it ,friend!

:wavey:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Iterate!? OK one of my favorite stories if I can get it across on "paper"
Was our 2nd hunt on the Altimaha river at Darien Ga;(Sherman was Here) We knew there were plenty of hogs, as they would root up the camp at night, and left hundreds of ham prints,the ground is just a thin crust of dry over a always wet layer of mud as the Altihama is a tidal river,which makes for some interesting topography for the un-initiated,which was of course myself!
Luckily for us we met up with a couple of locals who were also launching their boat,accompanied by two dogs, a hound and a pit,and over some coffee,and layin of some ground rules (rule 1 get to the dogs and get the hog beefore damage is done to the dogs!)
The hound is given free rein of the boat, the pit is securely tied,and is immediately straineing on his rope in anticipation of the hunt.As we proceed up river the hound is working and after a very short time alerts to the smell of our chosen game,the boats are Driven ashore as to beach them,the hound left the boat as it was still moving,and before rifles could be grabbed the pit was loosed as the baying of the hound announced the chase was indeed on!The pits owner isGone! Danny's in the lead followed by the other local and myself,were are all in full flight,there's a small creek,mabe 16-18 inches wide,heck a creek that wide sure aint deep is it?I never saw one that narrow would get your ankles wet,Topography though here aint right, the water raises and falls 6-10 feet a day!Next i'm aware is im inna crevasse of water up to my neck,there's nothin at all to grab and the walls of this "creeK" are absolutely strait up and down! thanks for pullin me out Fellah! Moving lots of noise,two dogs are engaged, the hound is circling and snaapping the pit (bless him) has the hog down by the throatwith his weight across his neck,pits owner takes the hog by the hind legs and stretches him out,Danny steps in with 1911 and first hog is taken,with two in the head,Hogs are tough!
Now these locals are Real hog hunters,but they dont kill no hogs they catch em and sell'em to these "canned Hunt " places.Said that you take a hog by his back legs and you just walk him out like a wheelbarrow,as he cant "turn" on himself to get you, and as long as you dont let go of either leg he is yours! Consequintly when Dans pistol went off it was a new unexpected and not appreciated experience for the dogs who took a while to round back up!
Now I aint one to with hold respect when its due and these boys and their dogs have got a bushel of mine already!The next hogs mine,same drill as before,hound alerts,boats drove ashore,dont even take the rifle just RUN!The pit passes me ,the pits owner passes me, soon theres a fight on ! shouts of Here,Here and d--n if'n i dont run right on by near steppin in the middle of it!Circling about I take the hogs legs and they're taken from me "He's your Hog" O Right! pits got him by the ear,hounds hollerin and bittin his rear and flank, never even unstrapped the 29 just seemed right and pulled the knife and soon as the pit moved clear stepped in and(picked a spot)the same spot used at hog killins and plunged in,wiggled and cut and tried to cut more on the way out,jeez. One o the locals told his partner "I aint never seen that before"
Didn't tell you this was opening day did I,not for hog as they can be hunted year long here,but for Ducks!Man y'all aint EVER seen such as duck hunters!camoed from the ground up, their boats looking like floating isles of mossy oak! Even their shotguns are all dolled up!If federal came out with real-tree shotshells the would corner the market!
As we pulled the boat up outa the water a DNR weinie makes his approach! No sweat
I THAUGHT! The new style Athletic shoe was jus' catching on,we were both wearing em blue jeans ,work shirts!We are carrying RIFLES,I've got a 29 inna uncle mikes shoulder rig,Dans 1911 is on his hip! Do we sound like we look like duck hunters?
"Lemme see your stamps!"
What stamps? in all innocence, i reply
"Your DUCK stamps"
I aint got no duck stamps, says I
Immediately he goes into a gunfighter pose with hand on the butt of a auto(make unknown)and shouts( Iguess to alert his partner) "Why aint you got a DUCK stamp!"
'couse we aint hunting duck?
Yeah watcha huntin?
well take a look inna boat!
Two hogs
one with a VERYugly head,two 45's will do that
Well this ones not shot he says how did you get him?
with my knife look under his throat , see if this matches and hand him my knife
"Damn who the [email protected]%* do you you think you are Daniel Boone?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great story!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts