Arms Locker banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today it happened again was at my local shop and a guy comes in wanting to trade some 1911 parts in for some work on another one.

To make it short I ended up with the makings of a GI parts gun except for no barrel and an Essex frame instead of a GI one.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Score, For You!

i remember surplus barrels w/link selling well below $5

sounds like you got another one in the stable!

i bought a frame for one in 1980 for$54

thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I understand that the Essex frame is pretty good. You'll have a good time and fun learning experience plus your own custom 1911.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I had an Optima 2000 site mounted on an Essex slide about 4 years ago, good quality slide.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the slide mfg is open to question, maybe Essex maybe unmarked GI. Lots of mill marks on it so I'm thinking WW2 production. What's cool is the frame and slide fit pretty snug.

What this pistol could be called is either a "sleeper" or a "ringer". Meaning I intend to do some work to make it accurate as can be but still retain a 100% GI 1911 appearance on the outside. Something I've wanted to do for years.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A bone stock looking pistol that shoots w/the super dooper fancy schmancy raceguns is just a cool idea.Good luck!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
41mag said:
A bone stock looking pistol that shoots w/the super dooper fancy schmancy raceguns is just a cool idea.Good luck!
Don't know if it will run with them but it'll be fun to have one that will keep up with the loaded SA's and Kimbers or beat a few. :)

Now that I've replied to a rational response lets see what ole andy has to say.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No andy I don't. Honestly you missed the entire point of this and it shocks me to no end that you did.

The main point is it it's just pure enjoyment of making something that looks old and clunky perform. Considering your choice of arms I can't believe you failed to grasp that.

The secondary point is I love to go to the public range and PO the Golfers W/Guns crowd. You know the ones that have to have the trendiest make and model of weapon. One year Glock another one SIG the next HK or a fancy race gun, the big benifit we get is they flood the shops with hardly used trade-ins at either X-MAS time, tax time or bonus pay time. They are the ones with the gun-snobb attitude that think the fancier the weapon the better the shooter.
Those andy are the ones I really like to F'-with at a public range.~>;-)

·
Registered
720 Posts
My old, old Colt slide on essex frame is very accurate, much more so than me. I shoot only hard ball in it, usually 185 gr berry's FMJHB over 5.8 gr of Bullseye. Using Wilson Combat, 8 round mags. this weapon is very reliable, as well. It makes the race gunners curious because of it's extremely plebian lineage, it's lack of failure rate, and it's funk-as-cool retro stank!
SatCong

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
that's a pretty stiff charge of Bullseye for that bullet. What's the point of such a load? It aint gonna transfer any more of its energy than it would with 5 grs of Bullseye. Either one is taking 1/3rd or more of its energy and momentum out of the far side of a man.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
the issue is, of course, can you consistenly place in the top 10% of all entrants, at big matches. :) I doubt that you even get into the top 50%. Meaning you post D class scores.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
IPSC ISN'T REALITY! He's not looking to build a racegun dipstick! Not everybody needs a race gun, geez.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Dipso isn't satisfied unless something nice is cobbled up to his specifications.

RIKA

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Again andy fails in reading comprehension. Plus you would think after all of my comments he would realize I don't give a rat's a$$ for gun games where they worry about getting their sport shirts dirty on the course. I go to a public range for basic sight in and accuracy testing plus maybe a little rapid fire. Then do stuff like fire and manuvere on private property.

Oh well the point will be lost on him again anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts