Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Revolvers vs Semi Autos

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Garand 
#1 ·
I was going through my annual winter cleaning schedule recently where the firearms that don't see a lot of sunlight each year get pulled out and cleaned and I realize that I have 40% more revolvers than I do semi autos. Am I the only one who doesn't like chasing brass as he/she gets older?

#2 ·
Am I the only one who doesn't like chasing brass as he/she gets older?
Definitely not alone in that. I've found what I consider to be the best of both worlds; revolvers that use moon-clipped semiauto calibers. Most of the rounds I fire are thru semiautos because of the type of shooting I mostly do - primarily timed junk on steel targets and playing on the musical targets - but the two revolvers I do use most are moonclip-fed, in 9mm and .45acp. And they're MUCH less hassle to clean up after. Even if I do dump the empties during a reload, it's one big, easy to find thing that I have to pick up, instead of six or seven little, harder to find things.

The carrier on the left holds 42 rounds of 9mm in not much more space than two spare 9mm magazines:
Wood Rectangle Cylinder Gun accessory Tints and shades

#7 ·
Traded my 25-5 for a new Beretta 92 FS to gift to my Son. Now I wish I had paid cash and kept the S&W.

Reactions: Dorobuta and BigEd
#4 ·
Dorobuta - I hear you. The .45Colt is one of my favorite calibers but my normal .45Colt revolvers don't get near the play they used to either, since I picked up the redhawk milled for both 45Colt and 45acp. It'll fire both, but only gets much use with the acp stuff, again in moonclips. I only got my first moonclip-fed revolver about three years ago but have become a huge fan of the concept. If I were still shooting revolver competition, it would almost certainly be with a 9mm revolver using moonclips; they're that much faster & smoother for me when reloading.

#5 ·
With the current shortages up here, buying fmj/tmj bullets during the winter months has been touch and go. I was only able in October to pick up Qty 500 in 240 grain .44, so I also picked up 1,000 in 250 grain .45. I guess my "Original" Vaqueros in .45 Colt are going to see some use this winter.

Reactions: BigEd and Dorobuta
#6 ·
I'll be getting more revolvers in the future. After I move most likely. For awhile I had none. Which was odd because I started off with a 6"bbl blued Ruger Security Six. And I shot both .357mag and .44mag the most of anything with the .357 edging out the .44.

Now I'm down to zero again but have a wish list.
It's so long as I won't list everything but it starts caliber and price wise with the .22lr Birds Head Ruger Wrangler and ends for now (hehe) with a .454Cas. Ruger Toklat.

#12 ·
...a .454Cas. Ruger Toklat.
I had a Super Redhawk .454 for years, but had never heard of the Toklat. Darn if it doesn't look like what I had to pay a gunsmith to on mine years ago.

The Toklat:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

My SRH after having the barrel shortened & the sight re-located:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

The Toklat is definitely prettier because of the ugly matte grey they used when mine was made ~20 years ago, but very similar functionally. I didn't know they now offered a factory version with an intermediate-length barrel like that; all I knew were the 7.5" (like mine started out), and the 2.5" Alaskan model.

#9 ·
I know I still can't think of many centerfire pistols I really want.
Now revolvers yeah and I won't list but one S&W and 4 Rugers for sure.
And maybe a BFR single action in .460 S&W...
Although I'd love to just have an older Ruger Bisely Blackhawk again in .45colt or .44 mag.

#10 ·
If I came across a good price on an MR73 revolver in even mediocre shape, I’d feel obligated to jump on it and sell the only two 357 revolvers I have left at this point. But the odds of finding an MR73 at what I am willing to spend on one are very, very low.

#11 ·
There was a time when I'd be seeing what I could sell, trade, raise minks in my bathtub or sell blood to finance for an MR73.
But, that time is past IMHO.
Unless maybe.....no no and No...NO!
Had to shout down the little voices in my head over that one.🤣

#14 ·
Was looking at my handgun rack yesterday and noticing my revolver count being down. The only revolvers I have left are two SA in .45 colt, one SA in .22LR, and two DA in 45 colt (one of which can also fire 45acp).

It's weird being down to that, but it's a good kind of weird. Been working for over two years on reducing how many guns I own, and this at least shows progress along those lines. My thoughts of potentially getting into cowboy action shooting seem less & less likely, so may even sell one of the .45 SA revolvers and one or two leverguns as well.

#16 ·
I have quite a few revolvers in .45 Colt, .45 ACP, .39 Special. .357 Magnum, and .22 LR. The prize ones are the Colt SAA and the S&W M1917. The M 1917 was bought for basically pocket change during the "Golden Age of C&R." All get shot, but I too shoot semi-autos more often. The thing is a revolver for some reason often is more visually attractive (to me) than most semi automatics. Look at a Colt Series 70 and then a Colt SAA.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain
Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Nickel Gun accessory

Reactions: BigEd
#17 ·
I've always had a soft spot for revolvers. Don't know if it's because the first centerfire handgun I ever shot was my dad's old smith & wesson .38 S&W caliber (not .38 Special) revolver that he bartered from a British soldier & brought back from WW2, but have always liked them. And if you practice with them, they can do a lot more than people often give them credit for.

#18 ·
Plus the nice fact that as we get older, you don't have to bend over to recover brass 😁 😁

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.