Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Rich

You have a forum dedicated to veritably everything one could want in a firearms site. I just have one minor suggestion if you don't mind. I'm not sure if I'm the only die-hard knife lover/tactician here (I highly doubt it), but I think knives are so much a part of most firearm lovers' lives, especially if hunting consumes a large part of their time, that they need a forum of their own here.

I realize that knives fall under the "Other Weapons" category, but for a lot of us, they are essential tools of the trade, both in a utilitarian sense and in combative applications. When I think of "Other Weapons," usually more unorthodox or unconventional weapons come to mind such as blowguns, chemicals used for human and animal disorientation, poisons, high-tech electronic devices of various types, sling shots, large caliber pneumatic rifles, EMP weapons, etc.

Just a thought!

-Temujin

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Actually I had an "edged weapons" forum when I first started this site up, but some people thought I had TOO many forums, so I consolidated a bunch of them to simplify things.

If the traffic warrants it, I certainly don't mind putting up any and all forums that anyone wants to, but you all have to USE them so I don't feel like I wasted my time.

I could make either a separate forum for knives and other edged weapons, or I could make it as a subforum for the Other Weapons forum. Which would you prefer?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think a sub-forum would work nicely. I never thought about what you just brought up about having too many forums. Heh, I must be strange. The more forums there are (nicely arranged and organized) the happier I am :p

Thanks, Rich. You could count on me filling lots of space in an edged weapons forum/sub-forum if you made it.

-Temujin

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
You could also just give Temijin his own forum like GBullet's. . .call it "Temijin's Knife Shop" or some such. Any complaints about too many forums could just be responded to with "Well, don't scroll into the personal forums then".

Dunno. . .

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yeah, I could do it either way. I do like the way this newer version of the message board software displays subforums. Personally, having a programming background, complexity of the forum structure doesn't bother me at all as long as it follows a logical flow. But I can well understand people getting overwhelmed with TOO many forums. Plus this site is just a fledgling, and sometimes having a whole lot of forums with only a few logged threads looks much worse then having the same number of threads all concentrated into a smaller number of forums.

It's a perception thing. Traffic attracts traffic. Starting up a new forum site can be a tough nut to crack and rather frustrating. We've got just over a year into this site and finally have some regulars spending time here. I expect things will grow slowly and I have to just try to be patient. When I look at one of my other sites (admittedly which has been around for several years) and see over 13,000 members, I can't help but compare the two....

Of course, then I go to some other sites out here and see 100,000+ members and feel generally inadequate across the board. :(

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Yeah, but if you examined the traffic, they may have 100,000+ members and only a few hundred (a tiny percentage) post on a regular basis.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Well, to keep things in perspective, within the Other types of Arms forum, there are only ten (10) threads. Why in the world would I want to add in a subforum there with such a minimal amount of traffic in the parent forum? Just doesn't make sense to me.

When a forum gets so many threads in it that there become obvious dividing lines concerning the active discussions taking place, THEN that will be the time for me to start putting in the dividers with subforums. Otherwise I am right back where I started with a LOT of forums with just a few posts in each.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts