Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment. I get the heebie-jeebies thinking that one of my neighbors with theft on his mind might see me leave the apartment with my gun case and decide to do a little firearms shopping at my home.

Browning makes a line of gun cases that look like briefcases, but they are too short for the average scoped rifle. They are made for take-down shotguns. I also have looked at cases by Winchester and even some specialty manufacturers who make gun cases that don't look like gun cases, but some of these are overly expensive or are used for guns commonly enough that they don't disguise the contents like you might think. I had a black rectangular case that I swore would fool everyone into thinking it was a case for a musical instrument. I had used the case all of twice when a neighbor came up to me and said, "What kind of shotgun is that?!"

Can anybody suggest a manufacturer of rifle cases or specialty cases that will hold at least one scoped rifle and not look like a gun case?

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
A FAR better answer is to use a take down rifle, like the more modern military autorifles. A 10" barreled CAR15, for instance, conceals just fine in an attache case, a small gym bag, a grocery sack, and so on. A 16" barreled version will fit, taken down of course, in a Lowe's backpack, the skinny, "tall" version. I think it's called the "Alpine', but couldn't swear to that.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
What about a guitar case?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Had buddy once that carried his Galil around in a guitar case that he customized inside with cut foam padding.

I'd actually agree with JD on this one. A 16" barrel CAR-15 can be broken down fast and quicky into two separate halves and stored in all sorts of inconspicuous cases.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
yeah, 2+2 STAYS = 4, despite all you whimworhipers WISHING you could somehow have your cake and eat it, too.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
An FAL breaks down fairly decently also, as does a G3.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
andy said:
yeah, 2+2 STAYS = 4, despite all you whimworhipers WISHING you could somehow have your cake and eat it, too.
"Now how can we argue with that? I think we are all indebted to Gabby Johnson here for clearly stating what had to be said. And I'm glad the children were here today to hear that speech. Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish...but it expressed a courage that is little seen in this day and age."

-Olson Johnson, Blazing Saddles

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Golf bag from a garage sale with a rain cover - can hold multiple rifles and no one would even look at you twice. Bolt, auto or otherwise. No disassembly required.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Aslan said:
Golf bag from a garage sale with a rain cover - can hold multiple rifles and no one would even look at you twice. Bolt, auto or otherwise. No disassembly required.

Now that's a pretty good idea! I've been looking for a way to haul my rifles back and forth without scaring the neighbors or giving some sticky fingered folks ideas, too.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
You would sure get some second looks as you walk into the range with a golf bag - LOL! I do like that idea, and you could even have a few club heads sticking out of it for good measure.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Excellent

Aslan said:

the 'MAN' nailed it on long-gun carry in a crowded A.O!]

LETS HEAR IT , FOR THE ,... TRUE,.... 'MAN'! :dancer01:

GREAT JOB,NORTHER BROTHER!

short/sweet/evil.

thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
yeah, right. Anyone can tell by the way it "hangs' that it aint full of golf clubs. :)
Aslan offered a brilliant idea and you're jealous because you didn't think of it, right andy. Do you ALWAYS have to rain on people's parade?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
That's how Mad Mike Hoare and his crew of mercs got into the sh^t when they tried to stage a takeover of the Seychelles Islands back in '81.

Hoare, a merc of some repute and notoriety, had 53 mercs and tried to infiltrate 43 of them into the country through the airport as a rugby team and members of a beer-drinking group called the Ancient Order of Frothblowers. An advance unit was landed ahead of time and was waiting for them.

At the airport one of the customs inspectors pulled an AKM out of a golf bag.

Oops....

Since they were already at the airport, after a brief firefight they 'commandeered' an airliner belonging to Air India and immediately booked themselves a flight back to South Africa to keep from disappearing in a Seychelles prison or worse.

Back in South Africa they stood trial and a few of them went to prison for 1 to 5 years - not for the mercenary action but for hijacking an airliner. Hoare (already in his 60's at the time) was sentenced to 10 years but got out in 2-1/2. To pay for his lawyer, his wife sold off the 1 million plus rounds of ammo he had in the basement of their South African home.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That's awesome, Rostov! Do you know of any books or websites that give details on what they were up to, who was doing the funding, etc.?

·
Registered
779 Posts
IIRC, what prompted the bag inspection was some yo-yo brought along some dang fruit, a big no no when traveling, in another bag which prompted a detailed search of everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts