Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember if I told you the problems I was having with my M-44, but it shot about 7" left at 100yards. I put penetrating oil on the front sight and banged the heck out of it to no avail. I finally swallowed my pride and took it to a gunsmith who drifted it in less than a minute. He charged me $2.00. Feel like a FOOL! Like Dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limitations. It's hitting to the point of aim now, at 100 yards, but with the rear sight set at 200 meters. No wonder the Russians used a lot of PPSH sub-machine guns. Fun to shoot, though, despite the rather large cut I got from the bayonet recoiling into my left index finger.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Hi Terry,

I have to set my rear sight at 200 meters for a 100m zero also (using Romanian ammo). Sorry about your finger cut. Somebody, maybe Magnum, said those M44's were made to be shot with the bayonet extended. Thats a PITA for civilian use. Those Nagants sure are fun though. I love my M38.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Although I'm not RIKA, I'll butt in if you don't mind.
Yes, the M44 was designed to be shot with the bayonet extended. Although now that the sights have been drifted, it'll probably shoot off to the right now if you extend it. It's really not a PIA to shoot it that way, although it can be a pain walking through the woods with it extended.

As for shooting low when set to the 100 yard notch. . .what ammo are you using? They were zeroed for 147-grain bullets. A lot of the surplus you find, as well as the Barnaul hunting ammo is 200-grain, so the sights won't shoot properly with the heavier ammo (the heavier ammo was designed for use with machine guns and sniper rifles because of its superior down-range performance). Also, I bnelieve there were 3 standard front sight heights, and when these rifles went through the refurbishment, the correct sight might not have been put back in. I havent had a Mosin yet to shoot to the sights, so you just did what everyone else did, and found a notch that most closely approximates where you want to hit, and then adjust with Kentucky Windage from there.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
typical milsurp slop-crap performance. I'd MANY x rather have a canned 22 than any noisy bolt action, especially one that can't reliably hit a torso beyond 250m. :)

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
andy said:
typical milsurp slop-crap performance. I'd MANY x rather have a canned 22 than any noisy bolt action, especially one that can't reliably hit a torso beyond 250m. :)
Got to have a "can" don't you, John? Those nasty guns make so much noise! Take up knitting.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input, RIKA and Magnum 88C, Andy shut up, the adults are talking here. I tried it again with the bayonet extended, but the group still stayed centered, thank God. The ammunition was Brown Bear 203 Grain SP. I'm confident with it now, but I like my Yugoslavian Mausers better. Truth to be told, My Enfield MKIII,s are my favorite C&R's. There is just something about that snub-nosed no nonsense look about them. A bit of Militech grease and the bolts work lightning fast. The .303 ain't no slouch either. I think it may have more knock down power than a .223 coming out of a ten inch barreled CAR 15.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Terry, if you get a chance, pick up some Czech 147-gr silvertip (Steel core!), or even the Wolf 147 grain, it might shoot closer to the sights. The Barnaul (brown bear) 203-gr Sp drops game big time though, if you ever get the bug to hunt with it. Shot two hogs this year with my M44, and the barnaul ammo and they went down like they were pole axed.

I have to concur on the Enfields. They're sweet rifle, although I could never warm up to the No1 MkIIIs, I like the No4 Mk1* and Mk2 best (the sights really make the difference). I used to think Mausers had great actions until I picked up an Enfield, the thing feels like it almost works itself.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Perhaps he could decorate them with rick-rack and lace.

RIKA

·
Registered
611 Posts
I used to think Mausers had great actions until I picked up an Enfield, the thing feels like it almost works itself.
Well the Lee-Enfield WAS designed by an American, of course it'll have a great action. :)

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Mausers, Mosins & Enfields are not firearms for ********

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
It only su*ks for cripples!

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
When you hit with the first shot, follow-up speed doesn't matter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
andy said:
It's still at LEAST 4x slower than a good autoloader. So it basically sucks.
There aren't too many affordable autoloaders that can reliably take down a man at 1000yds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts