Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago I drove through the rockies in spring, just as the snow was disappearing; There were ALOT of dead animals half buried in powder, most notably several deer and a bear. They must have been buried by the snow plows.
It has occured to me before that it might be worthwhile to drive up the trans-canada highway in a pickup as the snow melts, skinning frozen roadkill, but this year I would like to actually do this. Apparently it is illegal to mess with roadkill, but stupid rules are meant to be broken in creative ways.

What are your comments? What are various skins and furs worth? what kind of damage can I expect to find on these animals?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Antlers and skulls would always sell. Our local university has big, black beetles in the zoology dept. that they use to pick the meat clean off of heads and such to get to the bones. I know they've done this a couple times for my bud who is a game warden. Also, you might be able to collect the road kill with a hunting license?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Coyote, here in the US the places that buy furs are usually interested in mink, raccoon, sable, marten, coyote, beaver, muskrat etc. These are considered fur bearing animals and are legal to sell on the market. Deer and bear are considered game animals and are not legal to sell though I'm sure that many are personally traded to various artisans for money.

The Canadian fur Harvesters Auction Inc. doesn't list a market for deer and bear.

http://www.furharvesters.com/wildfurmarket.htm

You might check further to see if the money is worth the risk if its illegal. Not worth it to end up like gunkid.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Raider said:
You might check further to see if the money is worth the risk if its illegal. Not worth it to end up like gunkid.
RIKA
Amen to that. I have no contempt for rules and regulations but it is a bit of a stupid rule. No point in letting something go to waste.

Would the fur and skin be damaged by the cold? I have never had fur in a freezer for long, and while I am assuming that the animal would be reasonably well preserved, its no good if the hairs are damaged.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Can't answer. Why don't you email the fur harvesters. They would probably be happy to help. I believe that they have a brochure on fur preparation also.

RIKA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts