Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new to this ruger 10/22 rifle and I would like to know what is the most powerful ammo for this rifle. and what is the biggest animal can be hunt with this ammo. thanks

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
LEGALLY hunted, realistically taken with

body shots, or using max human ingenuity to set up a 10m or less eyeball shot? Big diff, you see. A .22 rifle has problems keeping a 10 lb chuck from getting down his hole, with the best .22lr hp's available, unless hit in the spine, brain, or shoulder. With careful shots to the earhole, eye socket, or temple, at very close ranges, it can reliably stiffen a 300 lb black bear or boar. The "most powerful" is probably the Aquila Hyper velocity, which supposedly has 175 ft lbs, when fired from a rifle, but the bullet is very light for a .22, and it probably lacks the penetration needed for braining big critters reliably. That's not very much energy. Many states require that you have something like 600 or more ft lbs of energy with a round, in order to legally hunt 100 lb deer, with it, in the interest of not causing inhuman levels of suffering in the game animals. Many experienced hunters say 1000 ft lbs, at the TARGET(which might be 1/4 mile away from the hunter) is more like it. With some bullets (flat nosed, or very blunt roundnose shapes)not "fighting " air resistance very well, they might need to START with 2000 ft lbs, in order to still have 1000 ft lbs left at 1/4 mile. So your question involves a lot of variables. The .22 lr is best left to animals the size of squirrels and rabbits, if you seek to take them legally, humanely, with chest hits.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
it's simple, really. when u dont know

about a given subject, don't ACT like u do, ASK somebody who does, that's all. :)

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I think he was commenting on the fact that you weren't calling names more than anything else.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
A .22 rifle has problems keeping a 10 lb chuck from getting down his hole, with the best .22lr hp's available, unless hit in the spine, brain, or shoulder.
Are you, by implication, recommending that someone should use, or even would use, 22LR hollow point ammunition to try to bag a Woodchuck? While a larger caliber wouldbe best, many are taken with 22LR and among 22LR rounds a much better choice would be a round with a solid bullet. In fact, 22LR solid points have proven much more effective whenever I hunt smaller game such as rabbits or squirrels with a 22LR than are hollow points. I have even bagged a few chucks with it, and one or two Porcupines, a crow or three, and some larger game I care not to discuss. I use various brands and styles of solid bullet 22LR ammunition. Of course you should always strive for a head shot on chucks as well as on small game animals, not just for a surer kill but for better meat for the pot and a nicer pelt. Another plus about a solid bullet - it is less likely to leave bits of itself in the flesh for you to find with your teeth.

One shot = one dead varmint in each case head shot or not; has been the norm when my aim is true. This was because the shot placement was to a critical area and caused almost immediate death. I have seen chucks hit with from .222 to 7MM Magnum that have gotten to their burrows because of poor shot placement. Yet, I have also seen some animals even deer take a hit that was to critical areas such as the brain, or heart and that animal kept going for some distance. A deer I shot took a 12 gauge slug to the heart and lungs. The shot took of at least 1/4 of the heart (the whole aorta was gone with that area of the heart) and the left lung was turned into the consistency of oatmeal, plus large entry and exit holes. This deer went about 125 to 150 yards before dropping - an amazing burst of its stored potential energy because it surely was not getting any more energy from its cardiovascular or pulmonary systems. It was all of 110 pounds at that. I also worked in a hospital once upon a time many years ago, and remember a guy brought into the ER with a bullet in his brain - broken in two pieces. One was pretty much dead center of brain mass, the other near the stem. My guess is that the round was a .45 from what I recall of the size as seen on X-rays. This gent was alive for well over 8 hours while I was there, and he was aware of what had happened, was active, and had to be restrained. There are lots of variables indeed, not just the round being used or shot placement.

I agree though that when using a .22LR for legal hunting, then rabbits and squirrels are about the right sized game to attempt to bag with such ammo, although if you are doing varmint control go ahead and bang away at woodchucks if within range with 22LR. Who cares if they make it to their burrows; if all you are trying to do is kill em why care where they die (although a larger round may be more likely to kill with one shot and therefore more humane). I too would tend to stay away from bear hunting with 22LR ammo.

Best regards,
Glenn B

By the way, I have got to commend the new writing style of 223 fan, and also the fact that 223 fan did not mention the 223 in his replies - a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Javellina is the largest, and IIRC the only "Big Game" animal that a rimfire can legally be used on. The javellina is a smallish pig, with a bad attitude, and poor eyesight. You can legally use a rimfire in AZ, NM,and TX IIRC. Some people claim the attitude comes from their diet of cactus, but I know better, They are poker players and not having a opposable thumb none of them can shuffle or deal the cards especcially after theve had a few beers.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
.22 lr solids aint worth a crap on chucks,

unless you get lucky and hit the spine. It's a bunch of bs that hp's "ruin meat". there AINT any meat on the ribcage of small critters. so putting a hp thru their lungs, liver, spleen, etc, ruins no meat. It's the dumies putting a bullet thru both shoulders that bloodshoot some meat (but even then, very little) Most of the meat on small critters is in the rear legs and along the backbone.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I agree with GK on this one. I hate hunting small game with .22LR solids unless I'm using CB's. Bird are a bitch to bring down with solids unless you hit them in the head, spine, major wing bone, etc.

Seen a buddy shoot a pigeon which took 7 body hits, with .22LR round nose solid point high velocity, before it collapsed and fell off of a power pole. I know it was 7 body hits because we dressed out the pigeons we shot for food that evening and we counted the bullet holes.

My favorite hunting .22's are still the hyper-velocity hollowpoints, like the CCI Stinger. Stingers drop game more relilably than almost any other .22LR round you can normally find off the shelf.

·
Registered
779 Posts
When I mainly squirrel hunted as a kid it was either the CCI Mini-Mag HP's or the Stingers I'd use, prefered the Stingers though.

That new Velociter might be interesting too but a bit on the pricey side,IIRC.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
solids always sufficed for me on birds, even on ducks. Hit pretty much anywhere, sitting on the water, they soon are unable to sufficiently hold up their heads, and drown. Critters, tho, tend to get deep into brush piles, down holes, etc, if you dont bust their spines or shoulders.

I once whacked a chuck (standing) in the back of the head, with a .22 short from My M67 Winchester, as a kid. I was sitting. He started flopping around. I laid aside my rifle, and ran towards him with my Roehm 38 (western style) He got it together, and ran 90 degrees across my front, for his den. The range was about 40 ft. I led him and let go a .38 Wadcutter reload. I heard it hit him, just as he entered the side of the multiflora rose hedge. I ran over, and there he lay, down in the hole. I shot him in the butt a couple of times, pulled him out by his tail. I'd hit him right behind the front shoulder, a pure luck shot. Such stuff does happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts