Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yah, I'm still here Rich. I just don't have much to add here lately, but I do lurk and pick a few tidbits out every once in a while. I can pretty much read the titles and see who responded and guess the rest.

Anyway, I just wanted to keep this about firearms and see if anyone else has had problems with Ruger's simulated (or real?) color case hardening on the Vaqueros? Seems so thin that just handling the gun results in rusting. Light oiling seems to reslove the problem but I just can't help but think that it is just a poor job of replication.
Anyone have ideas on resolving this problem? Is blueing the only real option?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
IIRC Ruger's color case hardening is a chemical process to make it look like a real bone-pack case hardening and is nowhere near as deep a true case hardening. Supposedly their new custom shop will do real bone-and-charcoal case hardening. I don't see any way of "repairing" the worn off pseudo hardening. Although they may be able to "re-dip" it. Call Ruger and ask what's entailed.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
There is an interesting article in NRA's December issue of American Rifleman that deals with new gun cleaning products. It states specificaly that case hardening is more apt to rust than other finishes and names some products that work better than metal protectors currently on the market. Regular gun oil, RIG grease, and even WD-40 were suggested for short term storage. A specific manufacturer was not named, so I suspect rust on case hardend finish might be a pretty widespread problem.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Clint, as Magnum stated it's a chemical proccess coloring, however bone and charcoal color case will also wear rapidly if the metal is polished to a high shine.
If the idea of disasembling it doesn't give you the vapors you might look at Acracoat for Metal, a product that Brownell's carries under their name brand. Stuff wears like iron.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. It was Dad's SASS sixgun, my son owns it now. I'd just like to make it a bit more maintanance free so it will last to be passed down the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts