Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to pick up my first MKII.I would like to know if they have any ammo preferences?ie.I'd rather buy 3 or 4 bricks that shoud work fine/be acceptably accurate as opposed to 10 bricks & a really sore thumb.;)
Any thoughts?

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck I don't know, but I think this would be more of an individual gun type of preference rather than a particular model preferring one type of ammo over another. Too many variables in the manufacturing process for each gun of any model to be exactly identical. Barrel rifling cutters wear each time they are used, so no two barrels are going to be identical.

Unfortunately, you may have to just buy a box of each brand and find out which one your gun likes best. Of course, who is to say that every lot number of any type of ammo is going to be identical either?

But what the heck, at least you can have fun shooting trying to find the best brand.

Honestly, I have found that price and quality of ammo doesn't seem to have that much bearing on the results.

I have a Remington pump 22 rifle that shoots that crappy Aguila hypervelocity ammo superbly. Every other gun I have shot it in shoots flyers all over the darn place. No wonder I got that 5,000 round case at such a bargain price! But that Remington just loves the stuff!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,I'm figuring on having to expieriment a bit.I just figure that if 3 or 4 guys say that Eley Tenex is the berries & avoid like the plague REM/FED/WIN whatever.Then that's what I'll do.:)

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
only from abraced firing position can

even the finest marksman tell the diff between the pistol's "favorite" load and it's nearly the worst load. So it's unlikely to mean a thing, really. Some tend to not work as reliably with some loads, specifically match or subsonic or standard velocity loads. Some wont feed hp's, at least with some mags. If you want real accuracy, you obviously use a rifle, that's all. Otherwise, you substitute getting closer for having as much accuracy as the rifle has. No big deal. Choose, that's all.

·
Registered
605 Posts
41 mag
I think Rich hit that one on the head. Don't dicount the cheap stuff, my 10/22 shots American Eagle with the best accuracy and least malfunctions.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
41mag, 15 years ago, I competed in local bullseye matches with a MkII. I found that CCI Stingers were one of the most accurate loads and they functioned flawlessly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
.41 Mag - I don't usually say anything good about Federal, but those American Eagle .22's shoot well out of all my .22's, rifle and handguns both. Like CB says, don't discount the cheap stuff.

DC

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
3.5" groups, 50 yds, = PERFECT scores

and you can win a lot of matches with "only" 5.5" groups. 2/3rds of the BE match are shot at a mere 25 yds. Same 3.5" 10 ring. clean those stages, stay in the 5.5" 9 ring, you will score 295 out of 300, and that wins a lot of matches, bud. Especially if there's ANY wind, or light issues at all, even at the very toughest levels of competion.

At local or regional matches, cleaning the 25 yds statges, staying in the 8" ring of the 8 ring at 50 yds, will either win or put you into the top 5 finishers. So the "accuracy" of the ammo used is a bs subject, nearly always. The ability of the MAN is always far less than that of the ammo, and nearly always far less than that of the gun, over the firing of lots of rounds, under match stress, one hand unsupported, even with match .22 autos and optical sights.

Only the hunter, using a scope, and a braced firing position, can hope to tell the difference between 1.5" grouping ammo and 2.5" grouping ammo (at 50 yds), and then only because he is not talking about the firing of 90+ rounds, under match stress.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
CCI stingers work best out of my Ruger Mk II Bull Barrel giving an average velocity of 1,385 fps.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
The cheap bulk box ammo that Wallymart sells is accurate in my MKII and 10-22. It even works well in the CZ Kadet 22 conversion unit.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Raider,that CZ Kadet conversion for the CZ75?How do you like it?Does it maintain the same balance as the factory caliber?Is it something you could recommend in good concience?
I love the idea but would hate to buy a problem child.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.I picked up the pistol & a pile of ammo.I just haven't figured out how to post the pic yet.
:smash:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL,you Raider,you answered my Q in a different post.:)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well,here's what I ended up with.
Thanks for the replies;)
sorry about the waaaaay crappy pic.
thankfully the book that came w/the pistol is ALOT smaller than what came w/the camera.:alien:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Oh mygosh. Lookie at all the ammo and what a pretty pistol. I know that you're going to spend a lot of happy hours at the range wringing that new Ruger out. You made an excellent choice. BTW, your photo is like ... EXCELLENT!

Enjoy. :beer:

RIKA :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
That's a sweet looking ruger:cool: .

BTW: You don't have enough ammo.;)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I prefer the 4-3/4" stainless MkII. the only aftermarket part I've put on it has beena set of Houge grips.

My MkII eats almost any .22LR and I have half a dozen cases of .22LR ammo stashed.

I also shoot .22 CB Longs out of my MkII.

To do that reliably you load the magazine half full and you manually cycle the bolt both open and closed, never letting it slam home. When you eject, it's usually best to rotate the weapon slightly to make sure the casing falls clear of the pistol.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
My favorite .22LR ammo is CCI Stinger, CCI CB Long, and Eley Tracer. Tracer ammo is kind of cool in a .22LR.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Raider?Pretty pistol?Wellll,I've looked a little but a haven't found any pink laminated stocks yet.If you know where I can get some let me know!:D
84C4?My expert :eek: crop job cut off 3 bricks & a couple of loose boxes IIRC.So it's not THAT bad.:eek: :p

Thanks all.So far it functions fine w/everything but Remington golden bullets.Those have an erratic report,poor consistency,& sometimes failed to lock the slide back on the last round.Oddly,as I was advised more than once to use high vel ammo in the first 500 rounds exclusively,all of the low velocity target ammo I've tried has worked flawlessly.
I had half expected problems with it in the first 500 rnds or so.
No dice. :
It does like stingers too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts