Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first saw it in the CDNN Investments catalog. Ruger is offering a black powder rifle. "Black Synthetic 50 caliber. 22" barrel with advanced inline bolt action. 3-pos safety, uses #11 percussion caps, sling swivel studs, blade front w/gold bead, adjustable rear, stainless nipple breech plug. Dealer=$249.99 MSRP=$550.00" It looks a lot like their Mod 77 BA rifle with an additional ramrod beneath the barrel.

Also offered is a laminate stainless @$674, a hardwood blue @ $616 and the Officers Deluxe w/walnut stock @ $662.

This seems like an awful lot for a BP rifle though I'm sure it shoots well. Heck, I could buy a good used CF handgun and rifle for that MSRP. I love to hunt with my black powder Lyman 50cal Hawken but it only cost $150 from Sportsman's Guide on closeout sale a few years ago. Think the Hawken is prettier too but I'm a traditionalist.

Black Powder deer season starts next week and we can legally harvest one more doe. I plan on being there with the Hawken.

RIKA

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had an Pennsylvania style flint lock that was a ball to shoot. I don't know why I ever sold it?

I checked into the in line style for extended seasons here in Oregon. They are illegal to hunt with so I put that on the back burner.

I also did some shooting with a .36 cal Navy Colt cap and ball. Great fun but the cheap kit gun didn't hold up real well, it became a wall hanger.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
LOL, Maybe it's just me, but it seems these inlines firing light bullets are just trying to get around the whole BP thing, and make them into a centerfire.

Traditional BP rifles are more fun, more authentic, more of a challenge to hunt with, and can be found cheaper.

But, like I said, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
No, I don't think it's just you, I thought the same thing.

Same goes for the rifled, sabboted shot gun configuration.

Then there's the 80% drop in compound bow draw that allows for dartlike projectiles to be launched like a recurve has never seen!

But what does it all get us? More restrictions and needing a lawyer to interpret the synopsis.

It's not easy deciding what the answer should be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts