Arms Locker banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried one this weekend, and from initial results, this one may be the forumla I've been looking for. The finish is very nice - a deep, dark, black glow, and appears to be very hard. I had taken a slide's top round down to 400 and the flats to 600. The flats were obviously harder to get to take the treatment - took me about 20 revolutions, but now it looks exceptionally nice. Time will tell!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had never heard of it either, Rika! Here's where I bought it.

A couple of photos of the slide on the LTW commander I did. I did the GS with it too. I have an old Kahr 9mm from years ago that is tattered and worn, and I'm going to try it out on that too.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Thanks Jon! PJ says,

"The process is similar to that used centuries ago but an express agent has been added to streamline the bluing operation. The steel is heated by water or torch. This bluing approach is the most desirable choice for double-barrelled guns to avoid weakening the solder."

Is this really a rust blue type where you do the carding? It sounds like it might be similar to Dicropan IM

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1067&title=DICROPAN+"IM"~

Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no. It's not cold blue. It is an express rust blue. If I were to compare it to something in application, I guess the closest would be the Mark Lee, but this one gives a much better finish, or at least it did on this pistol. It takes hours of work, but after that you're done. The process pretty much consists of prepping and cleaning the metal, boiling for 1-2 minutes to bring it up to temp, applying the stuff, boiling for 1-2 more minutes, carding it, boiling it again, and then repeating.

The enclosed literature says 12 applications needed on average, but as you can imagine with more highly polished metal than 400, it took a lot more - probably 20.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
It sounds like it would be worthwhile to look into. Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! Yea, try it out. Oh, and get the big bottle. I got the big one, and I used about 1/4 of it. Most, of course, got soaked into the applicators, which I changed between each application.

Best,
Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts