Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a very nice, very accurate S&W 17-3 .22 revolver. It handles well and has a sweet trigger pull both DA and SA.

Here's the problem: The extraction is driving me nuts. After only about 30 rounds the cases stick so badly that I end up pounding the rod on the table to get them out. I've switched ammo and the problem remains.

I've cleaned it and used a cordless drill to spin a brass cleaning brush covered with Fitz in each chamber. No help. Damn frustrating.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I'm assuming that the cylinder charge holes are glass smooth. Try pushing unfired cases into the cylinder holes, down firm, and then try to extract them. Do they come out smooth or a bit sticky? Does the extractor star move up and down smoothly without any cases? Try that test and let us know what you found. It could provide a clue.

RIKA

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
If your's is the same model as mine, forgive me I don't recall the specific 17-3 designation, mine was the stainless, 6-shot version that looked like a 686.

Mine had very tight chambers in the cartridge rim area and in combo with the hammer blow/firing pin strike which was heavy enough to mash the rims against the chamber mouths & ejector starr and cause the same problem.

If you realy like that gun try and find a gunsmith who will enlarge the rim area of chambers and the ejector star. But NOT the area of the ejector star that fits under and extracts the case.

You may also want to try a lighter spring kit and see if that helps first.

Me I was not that wedded to the gun so I traded it off rather than pay for that kind of precise work.

BTW- If you haven't you might also want to check out www.rimfirecentral.com for help as well.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Sounds like Ed has the answer. I wonder if S&W's lifetime repair guarantee applies to your pistol.

RIKA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts