Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my friends just picked one of these up, we took it shooting and the accuracy was terrible. We were using mil-surplus M118 Special Ball, I can obtain some Black Hills just to try it but he just wants to sell it and get the Choate USS model, which is essentially the same gun. Ive head so many good things from other people though. Did he just get a lemon or is there an issue with this weapon system?

He only plans to go to 600 yrds with it. For an individual with his skill level this should be easy as pie.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I have a Savage .308 (112 FVSS (?) Warrior) that I bought a while back. When I mounted the scope and sighted it in, I found that it shot TERRIBLY with Hertenberger milsurp ammo. I mean REALLY bad! However, with Black Hills moly coated premium ammo, it was a veritable tack driver. So have him try some quality ammo before giving up on that gun. That might be his problem.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info RichZ, I'll do my best to convince him to give it one last try.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
My 10-FPLE is more accurate than I am. It’s possible he got a bad one, but I’d certainly try more than one ammo in it before making a decision on it.

Could be any of a bunch of things. Bad ammo, an ammo that gun just doesn’t like, bad scope, bad trigger (mine was pretty bad initially), bad scope mounts, or just having a bad day. Definitely worth a little bit of checking out before proclaiming the rifle as ‘bad’.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I agree with Rich and John. Definitely try a few different types of ammo. The M118 Special Ball isn't the most accurate stuff out there to begin with anyway. I'd recommend he buy 100 rounds of Winchester Gold Medal Match in 175 grain weight and try that. Zero the rifle and then go for groups. If the Gold Medal Match is out of your price range, order some Georgia Arms G308M match ammo. It's very good and consistant and accurate as hell.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts