Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught it on TV last night. Had forgotten how bloody it was, and I was glad that it was not altered much, even though it was on network TV.

Was nice to see the 03 sniper in action again. I love my rack-grade 03A3.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
with the ammo available to them in WW2, do you REALLY think that they could outreach today's HBAR'S? :) so what's to "love" about it?

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
There's plenty to love about it...

One big thing to love about it, is we can legally own one should we choose.

:devil:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Although watching a leftie work that bolt(& around the scope to boot!) made my eyes hurt.One other interesting thing about the sniper I noticed was that if you listened to him working the bolt,gun in frame or not,you could hear him bobble it a few times.Not nice & smooth.Just like what I would expect an adrenalin pumped man to do.

I don't cry at movies generally,but the first time I watched both opening scenes,& put them together,it just about stopped my heart.I so wanted to take my Grandfather to see that in the theater.As he was in Hospice dying,we never had the chance..

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Saving Private Ryan was cancelled here and in many areas because of the FFC's new stance on obscenity and profanity and the contract for airing it stipulated that they couldn't edit it or buzz anything out.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
The first fifteen minutes were absolutely shattering. I have never seen a movie with such realism. I bought it. Actors like Tom Hanks and Mel Gibson (We Were Soldiers) insist on every detail being right. Watch Tom Hanks pulling the trigger group out of an M1 Garand and Mel Gibson handling an M-16. Films have come a long way.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
We Were Soldiers was fantastic.

Have you all seen Band of Brothers as well? If not, do so!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
All three are very good.

It was startling to see David Schwimmer not suck in a movie; "Brothers" so far has been the only good one I've seen him in.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
John in AR said:
It was startling to see David Schwimmer not suck in a movie; "Brothers" so far has been the only good one I've seen him in.
I had the same thought. He played an uptight prick, though...I'm not sure how much was acting. :D

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Love, is very easy ...... when you haven't screwed up your life like you have.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Anotehr decent movie, not quite up to those three, but good nonetheless, was Enemy At The Gates.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
The second part of the opening D Day sequence where the Rangers have to attack up hill is as close as you will ever get to real world infantry combat unless you have actually done it.

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Hard Ball, how did you rate Blackhawk Down?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I thought it was excellent. Many of the actors were rangers who had actually been there. Many of the shooting techniques shown are well worth learning.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Black Hawk Down & When We Were Soldiers both had scenes that puzzled me.In both movies there were squads cut uff from re-supply.In both cases they were probed several times un-successfully by the enemy.These probes left equipment (rifles & ammunition) laying,in some cases,right in front of them.In both movies-treated as relevant,truthful to what happened movies-the American soldiers were running out of ammo.Uh,why didn't they scrounge amongst the enemy dead for weapons/ammo?Also in BHD,there were numerous instances of truck mounted machine guns & even,IIRC a 105mm rifle.Seems that they could have proven useful.Just curious.I certainly wasn't there but I'm wondering if anyone w/more insight could explain this?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Well, in the Blackhawk Down situation they did pick up AKs in real life. They probably didn't want to be exposed with their butts hanging out running the 105.

Unfortunately, there is always some artistic license in movies. Combat, while very exciting (in a bad way) for the people involved, but realistically doesn't look as "kewl" as hollyweird fakery.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
They take "Dramatic License" with history. Although "We were Soldiers" did a good job overall. "Pass out the last of the ammunition" never happened. The 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, was never out of re-supply in the Ia Drang in 1965. Also, Lt. Col. Moore wouldn't have used a telephone to call his wife telling her he was safe and sound? Good movie anyway.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If we're discussing movies we particularly liked or enjoyed, then I'd have to put in my bid for the first half of Full Metal Jacket. Sometimes when I'm gettin' read to go work out and need a little "incentive", ol' R. Lee kicks me up a notch by reminding me that I am a "disgusting, unorganized, grabastic, fat-bodied, major-malfunctional, numb-nutted piece of amphibian sh*t whose mommy did not give him enough attention when he was a child." Puts me right on track, it surely does. ;)

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I liked FMJ too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts