Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came upon an old article about seal hunting and the guns they used. They were typicaly .70"-.79" caliber. Thay had a massive barrels and very thick walls.

It seems that in Finland there were very few gunsmiths outside of the military and ordinary blacksmiths made many of the seal guns. Rarely able to calculate the forces involved and strength of the metal, massive barrels were used to compensate for this. Weights of up to 20 kilos (approx 44lbs) were used and the autor knows of one weighing 28 kilos (nearly 62lbs!)

The lock on the gun pictured is from a Swedish Army type flintlock.

The shape of the stock was because these rifles were often fired from behind boulders. The swell at the fore-end was placed on the other side of the boulder ridge and helped absorb some of the recoil.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
That thing is HUGE. Wonder why they would need one so big. I understand the Mountain men used to hunt grizzlies with Hawkens? Different culture maybe?

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Heck, I have seen 10 gauge shotguns and shells at gun shows. Can't say I'd want to shoot those babies. Seems to me I even saw a smaller gauge number shotgun one time, but darned if I can remember what it was. But it looked more like a cannon then a rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
It could make a nice wall hanger if it wouldn't pull down the wall it was hung on......

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Just a guess but it seems reasonable that the hunter would want the seal to be DRT.I can imagine that trying to stop one from slipping back into the water just to become shark food would be pretty important.Big bore=big hole.

re.Big bores?I've seen a few 2 & 4 gauge(bore) double rifles on another sight whoser address escapes me.I do know that there is a German smith who is making new ones right now.From what I've read the biggest problem is in finding suitable brass cases for the rounds.There are some steel cases that would work but they don't obturate under the low black powder pressures.
This fella was making some out of brass bar stock but,they were about $100/case IIRC.

Neat stuff

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Looking at that pic I can only wonder how many(if any) Czar/Russian soldiers faced such a weapon during their wars.That thing looks like it'd shoot a load of cannister like a man portable Napoleon.Yikes.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it IS a frontstuffer, and .75 cal frontstuffers weren't that uncommon (yeah, I thought about putting it in the BP forum, right AFTER I put it here. . .). I think the sheer enormity of them is explained by them having been made by blacksmiths rather than gun smiths and they didn't want to make guns that blew up, so they overbuilt them. I wonder if any of them were named Ruger??

I thought shotguns over 10 ga are not legal here, or are the 2,4,8 bores exeempt from that if they're BP? 'Course I thought punt guns were illegal too, or is it just illegal to hunt with them?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Magnum88C said:
I thought shotguns over 10 ga are not legal here, or are the 2,4,8 bores exeempt from that if they're BP? 'Course I thought punt guns were illegal too, or is it just illegal to hunt with them?
The 8 gauge and larger aren't illegal, but it is illegal to hunt migratory birds with them.

DC

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you hunt other things with them? I.e. is it only migratory birds that are off limits?

·
Registered
397 Posts
You can unless your state has a specific law against it. 8 gauge shells can be had, but I don't know where to get ammunition for anything larger.

DC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts