Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never used a Seax, but have been curious about them at times. This is a side-by-side testing of a Seax and a Bowie as a woods/camp/survival knife. He doesn't give a lot of details on either, which is kind of a disappointment.

Spoiler - they both do fine, with the exception of the Bowie being better-suited to fine use. For things like shaving tinder or shaping a wooden spoon or such, the Bowie's curved shape had the advantage. But other than that, both did fine if you like a larger knife in the woods.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wish he'd given some info specifics on the knives - blade length & such. That bowie looks like an 11"-12" blade or so. Mine is less than that, an 8" Marbles Ideal, pictured below with a 7" version. I took the pic with them on graph paper to send to a sheath maker a few years ago to have a couple sheaths made up. The American made Ideal has been discontinued and replaced with a much cheaper version from Pakistan or somewhere, so since they're basically irreplaceable there was no way I was going to send mine off to someone I didn't know. The graph paper was his idea, and he made sheaths from it that I'm very happy with. (The sheath in the pic is a home-made one I made up when I first got the original 8" knife.) The smaller one is the same size as the USMC Kabar, so still a fairly robust size. The 8" balances a little better for me personally, but I bought the 7" as a backup when the original Ideal was discontinued & couldn't find an 8" one for sale anywhere.

I do wish he'd given some details on the ones he was using. They're both larger than I use or really want to use. I do have a larger Cold Steel Trailmaster that would be a good mountain-man or 'Castaway' knife, but not something I'm going to carry on a regular basis.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Utility knives are generally a trade off of some kind. You want them big enough to be useful, small enough to be handy. For a not too expensive choice, I like the Gerber LMF 2 knives. I have a couple of them, one that stays on my plate carrier and one that goes with me in the woods on a general basis. They're strong easy to sharpen and take a lot of abuse. They are also cheaper than ESE or other knives. They are good for making fuzz sticks for fire starting, chopping smallish branches, cutting notches in stuff, and even can be used in separating joints when harvesting game.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 - Some of the even moderately-priced knives out there like the Buck 119 & such are awfully good deals and would probably serve most people a lifetime of use. I like a somewhat heavier knife for woods & camp use; but that's partly because I'm somewhat of an oaf and they just fit me better, usually don't truly 'need' it. My sons bought me an AG Russell camp knife a few years ago that is a really good knife, but doesn't fit my hand quite as well as the slightly larger-gripped Ideal.

I've lusted after a Fallkniven Odin on & off ever since buying my one & only Fallkniven 10-12 years ago (a smaller SK6 Krut), but never pulled the trigger on one. I simply have no use (much less need) for another woods knife at this stage; much less another one that expensive

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Most of my time out in the woods I've carried a thick spined flat ground bowie style knife of some brand or other between 7-8" in length, a folder in the 3 to 3-1/2" blade length and either a SAK or a multi tool.
The bowie style I still have and carried the most has been a Gerber BMF I've had since 1986 when they first came out. Was advertised as 8" but more closer to 7-1/2". In
IMG_20210520_013128324.jpg

Now the next one I was gifted to by a good friend now sadly passed on in 2019 who made several different knives for friends and family. 13" blade named the "Cut-more" by another friend of mine.
Ive used it to split kindling. Chop down scrub trees and limbs; off of trees not people.😁 Glock 26 in photo for comparison . Oh sheath I made myself.
IMG_20210520_015109013.jpg

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That cutmore is a beast. I think I remember that when you got that, I suggested that you use a golf bag for a sheath.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed - if you'd be interested in a seriously heavy-duty sheath for the Cutmore, with provision for carrying a multitool, firestarter, and sharpener, you might check out bay state leather. He made up a sheath for my Trailmaster ten years or so ago and it's worked very well. Heavier than some, but stout as can be. Not certain he's even in business anymore, but worth looking into if that's something you'd care about.

Fwiw, rather than repost the whole mess about them again, this is the thread with pics: Discovered a new sheathmaker - Bay State Leather

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
John, that sheath looks nice. I've thought about upgrading the sheath or replacement.

Unfortunately it looks like the gentleman is no longer in business. Nothing past 2019 in his FB page and all links to his business are not working.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I'd much rather have a modified Crunc multitool and some saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the Crunch. for half as much weight, you get 5+x as much utility. Add 1 lb of Cold steel shovel, minus its handle and you'll get another 5x as much utility. Big knives are bad jokes. Everything you 'think you can do with one means you have to spend all of your time shaprening it. To hell with that noise

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'd much rather have a modified Crunc multitool and some saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the Crunch. for half as much weight, you get 5+x as much utility. Add 1 lb of Cold steel shovel, minus its handle and you'll get another 5x as much utility. Big knives are bad jokes. Everything you 'think you can do with one means you have to spend all of your time shaprening it. To hell with that noise
Try using this in the field for a serious length of time.
it’s clear you don’t own any such tool. So I guess I can’t criticize you for not having used it in the field.

it’s also clear you don’t know how to sharpen a knife.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don't think he can manage to sharpen blades much thicker than a Kabar.
Or use them effectively.

Where his comments really do fall short is in actually having used them in the field.

The Gerber BMF has batoned wood, split smaller kindling, chopped and trimmed shelter poles bug net ones for sleeping under the bluff at Hurricane Creek Wilderness Area in particular. Plus many other cutting chores.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why no handle on your shovel..? Kind of limits a shovel’s usefulness.

Also, and even though I’ve asked this before and gotten no response, I’ll ask again. For doing the same amount of work, you really believe a small knife takes less resharpening than a larger one?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think he can manage to sharpen blades much thicker than a Kabar.
Or use them effectively.

Where his comments really do fall short is in actually having used them in the field.

The Gerber BMF has batoned wood, split smaller kindling, chopped and trimmed shelter poles bug net ones for sleeping under the bluff at Hurricane Creek Wilderness Area in particular. Plus many other cutting chores.
I have a couple of the LMF II knives, and may get another to throw in one of my camp bags. One stays on my plate carrier, the other currently is in my hunting kit. A good utility knife and a good multi tool makes a great combination to have on your belt.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why no handle on your shovel..? Kind of limits a shovel’s usefulness.

Also, and even though I’ve asked this before and gotten no response, I’ll ask again. For doing the same amount of work, you really believe a small knife takes less resharpening than a larger one?
And again, nothing but run-&-hide from the self-proclaimed 'expert" when presented with simple, civil questions about things he himself brings up...

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...Big knives are bad jokes. Everything you 'think you can do with one means you have to spend all of your time shaprening it.
Again, I simply and civilly ask - do you honestly believe that to accomplish the same amount of work, a large knife actually takes more resharpening than a small one?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I be willing to bet that if he had any real experience with large knives it was probably some off brand cheap poor quality one. 🙄

1 - 16 of 16 Posts