Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No alas it is not the Kabar, the knife in question has a much thicker blade was heavy enough to beat someone to death if need be. Unfortunately any photos I might have of it are deeply buried someplace and not readily available. I appreciate the quick response though and have my fingers crossed that someone may have other ideas.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
you might have better luck posting this at bladeforums.com

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
As far as I know the Ka-Bar was the only one with a leather handle both the "Bolo" showen above and the "Raider Bowie" had wood or other material(micarta?) for the handle scales.

Now both Marble's and Randal come to mind as being popular but not "official issue".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks will post on bladeforums.com as well. The knife in question was similar to the bolo shown here but did not quite have the same wide blade. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I've got a bad feeling if this knife that was lost was not a Ka-Bar then it is something on the rare side.

I'm wondering if anything special was issued to machine gun crews or those carrying the Johnson LMG?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
BigEd63 said:
I've got a bad feeling if this knife that was lost was not a Ka-Bar then it is something on the rare side.
thats what I was thinking too. The Bolo looks like it has wood slabs, to boot. Did the one that was lost have round stacked leather washers like the Ka-Bar? If so, that's really the only USMC knife I can think of without it being rare.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Seabees Knife above​
Below is a U.S.M.C. Medical Corpsman Knife​
U.S. Marine Corps bolo /possable someone re-wrapped the handle on this type.​
M3 Trench Knife below​
below baker fighting knives​
Shitloads of knives were made for WWII ....​
WWII Taylor Huff Knuckle Kn "Made At Fort Knox KY" below...And maybe the knife in question wasn't USMC issue?[​

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
krept said:
thats what I was thinking too. The Bolo looks like it has wood slabs, to boot. Did the one that was lost have round stacked leather washers like the Ka-Bar? If so, that's really the only USMC knife I can think of without it being rare.
Wooden handles correct. I have two in my collection dated 1917. It's a Machine Gunners bolo. Sheath marked Brauer Bros 1918...Same type of grips you find on the early M1903 .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah Gunners762, it is the K-Bar type, with thick & heavy blade, no blood groove; stacked leather grip.
Hate to admit it, but years ago I had one of the U.S.M.C. Medical Corpsman knifes, also. Somebody decided he needed it more than I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts