Arms Locker banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
I've been using an RCBS single stage since 1986 without a fail, but in the last 2 years almost 3/4 of my reloading is .38 Special. I was in Cabelas in Phoenix in Feb and spotted a Lyman T_Mag II press that looked really good, so I bought it. Now I'll do .38 on the Lyman and the other 13 calibers on the RCBS.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Once I get a rifle in .338Lapua, after I buy land and build a shooting range of usable distance, I'd like to get a Lee Classic Cast(Iron) dingle stage.

I've gotten real Spartan in my shooting and firearm collection, AR type rifles only in .223 and .308 and Glock 9mm pistols.
Well I still have one AK but that's going bye bye soon, I've been thinking of getting an upper for .300BlackOut or building one.
But too many irons in the fire right now. Researching on doing a custom/dedicated upper in .22lr, if the dang ammo gets more available. Right now my Colt LE6920 is my "practice .22" so to speak. And my tweaked Sig716 is my "DMR" rifle.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
billions and billions of rds are loaded on progressive presses, and fired with zero problems, without cleaning primer pockets. I stopped bothering with pocket cleaning after the first few thousand (of over 100,000 reloads). It's just meaningless, except for benchrest rifle shooting.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
what would it matter if a practice rd failed to fire, anyway? If you reload your defensive ammo, that's just a few score rds for your entire lifetime, . That's no reason to waste all your time loading practice ammo on a single station press. Rob Leatham proved that he could load 900 rds of .45 ACP per hour on a Dillon 650 press, before there were any bullet feeders or case feeders for it. You have to go like HELL to load 200 such rds per hour with a single station press. So you are wasting 3/4 of your time spent reloading with such gear.

·
Registered
9,615 Posts
Quality vs quantity, The wife and I just finished 7 weeks in Phoenix, we were on the range for 17 days worth of competition. I brought with us 4,500 rds of .38 Special, all loaded on a single stage and not 1 problem during any of the matches using 6 different guns. Can't say that with a Progressive, used to have a Square Seal B back about 17 years ago. I blew apart a good 1911 with a squib load that I built, while trying to triple tap a target.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
To think, I started this thread in 2009 and have not reloaded a single round yet! I certainly am The Great Procrastinator! Anyway, the reason I am replying to the thread, at this late date, is just to say thanks for all the info and to let you know if will finally start going to some good use because I have signed up for a reloading class. The class is scheduled for next month and is being run by Renaissance Firearms Instruction. I guess it is about time that I start using the info you guys gave me and the Hornady reloading kit I bought almost five years ago in July 2010! It seems, at least in part, that said purchase meant I did pay attention to things you guys told me because I got that kit but then, being The Great Procrastinator, I never used it! That will change soon. My thanks again.

All the best,
Glenn B

41 - 47 of 47 Posts