Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

Settle An Arguement!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Ghost Ring 
#1 ·
:rolleyes: OK, What is the typical markup on gun sales? I say not more than 18% and this figure includes the, 'cost of doing business'. Another shooter agrees with me and adds that more typical, 'hardgoods' markups in the 20 to 30% range apply to the accessories that are, often, sold with the gun.

Then there's this one guy who says that no one could afford to sell guns if the markup is only 10 or 12%!

All right, who is correct? :)

#2 ·
in 1992 i bought an auto ordanance 1911"general"model.the manufacturers sugg retail was$450.i paid $330 + tax.that included the 4%xtra he chgd me for the cc transaction.
this was from a young guy who had only been in business a few months.i believe he was trying to quickly build a customer base.
during the aftermath of the assault weapons ban bs when $600 ar15's jumped to $1200 plus he pushed me away as a customer.
i wanted to buy a m-1 carbine for my grandfather.it's what he carried in france during the war.anyways the price one week was about 150-175.the next week it was 400.i asked him why the jump & was told "thats the price-take it or leave it".i didn't take it.when i was waiting to ask my question he took in a nib ar15 from a deputy who wanted cash for it,he paid the deputy 700 for the rifle.i asked how much for that one.gotta give him some credit.even though he knew i was standing right there the whole time he kept a straight face as he told me$2500 for it.
mark up?whatever they want i guess.caveat emptor(sp?)
sorry for the long post,jeff w

#3 ·
I think that gun costs are based on location, and how big the business is. A gun shop that sells 10 of the same guns vs the other smaller shops 1 can sell them cheaper. Never have been there but I would guess that guns cost more in Cal. than here in AR.

''ANY DAY ABOVE GROUND IS A GOOD ONE''

NICK:cool:

#4 ·
I'm not sure about firearms but in most large ticket items the M.S.R.P. is about 40% above what the dealer pays for it. That is pretty much the standard for everything from guitars to washing machines. If they are marking them above the M.S.R.P. they are making a really healthy profit. IMO

#5 ·
I think the philosophy most often used in pricing is "whatever the market will bear." Heck I have been to gun shows and seen something I was moderately interested, but the price was way too high. Ask them what the rock bottom price is they would take around 3pm on Sunday and you would be surprised how much that price will come down.

At one show, a vendor had an AMT in .50AE priced at $1200. I was on the way out the door to head on back home, with my purchases under my arm, and just stopped to take a look at it. The vendor saw my interest and asked if I was interested in that gun. "Yeah," I said, "but not at THAT price!" So he looked at the tag, and said "Well how about for $800?" Now that was QUITE a substantial drop in price! So obviously that original price tag was just sucker bait.

#8 ·
I recently priced a Marlin Papoose for about $265 or $270. I explained to the dealer that I had recently this same rifle for about $189 or $199 at a gun show. He only laughed and said that was impossible for a new gun. He explained it could not be found for anywhere near that price new. He told me his deal was a take it or leave it kind of a thing, so I left it.

Then I saw the very same gun, brand new, at a super sized sporting goods store. The asking price was $199. I am guessing that the big sporting goods store is making some sort of a reasonable profit on that rifle, and am also guessing that I will not be buying any guns from the other dealer in the foreseeable future...:p

Best regards,
Glenn B

#9 ·
:( Well thanks, guys, for the replies! I'm sorry to say that I lost this bet. After posting this question across several forums I have learned (to my chagrin) that typical markup on firearm sales is in the 30% to 40% range. It would seem that if a dealer is making 38% or better, he is doing quite well. Damn I hate to lose! :mad:

PS: Then, as some of you have pointed out, there's that other kind of markup - AS MUCH AS YOU CAN STEAL. Caveat Emptor!

#11 ·
Re: $5 spent on a copy of Shotgun News

223 fan said:
will SHOW you what dealers pay for guns, then check out what they list as retail prices. Get out your calculator. Some distributors offer sales, or quantity discounts, so sometimes the dealer can make 10% more, or so.
The LAST thing Shotgun News will do is tell you what dealers pay for their guns!

#13 ·
You've Been A Bad Boy!

andy said:
'Oh YEAH, wiseass? where you think that dealers order out of, and what diff in price? all you are is mouth.
Well! Apparently I'm starting to get to you. That’s good! Maybe, now, you’ll just go away. First of all, you've broken, both, this forum's code of ethics as well as general internet etiquette: YOU SHOULD NEVER SWEAR AT ANYONE OR CALL NAMES! This is a SERIOUS infraction of how you’re supposed to behave when you’re a guest at anyone’s website. It’s OK to attack, ‘What’ someone says; but it’s NEVER correct to attack the person himself! SHAME ON YOU!

To answer your question: Two of my closest friends have recently opened a gun business. (It's rapidly becoming one of the most popular gun shops in the county!) At their store, they do all their ordering from regional distributors who usually publish monthly catalogs for their use. They do, however, use both, 'Shotgun News' as well as, 'Gun List' in order to attract retail buyers.

Here’s a, ‘hot’ news flash for you: The vast majority of the prices listed in these publications ARE retail! Do you mean to imply that, all this time, you thought you were paying wholesale? Wow! Have I got a bridge in Brooklyn for you! You could, even, charge tolls; and (Here's the best part.) the income stream is guaranteed. Almost sounds too good to be true - Doesn't it! I'd hate to see you miss out on another fantastic opportunity; so, hurry! There are other interested buyers on this one; but, naturally, I've thought of you first.

PS: Now, I don’t expect you to apologize for calling me names and cursing at me; but next time you’re in church a dozen, ‘Hail Maries’ might be nice.

G
#14 ·
bs, I"ve held an FFL, too, and GunList

is retail USED, Shotgun News is wholesale. I've had a regular supplier or two, also, but the price break comes from doing a lot of business with them, if there's ANY price diff at all, that is. Either that, or with bulk purchases at any given time.

G
#16 ·
The "markup" on guns in a lot of areas is affected by any number of ffl holders, several in my area that will "bring in" a gun, new or used for a license use fee of $20-25. The person can then track down the gun for dealer pricing, send a check or card info with the dealers license, order it from out of state and it's non taxable. Makes it a little hard for a dealer of modest means to guess what kind of gun his clientele might purchase, order it, and then have to add profit and taxes if and when he sells it. It got a lot easier for a consumer to compare prices with a computer that gives you that info in moments. Most stocking dealers around here add $30 to their cost plus shipping and hope to make it up in ammo sales.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.