Arms Locker banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject recently came up, what sorts of rules are there about shipping guns?

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
You may not ship guns through the US mail. You may ship a firearm via UPS or FEDEX to a FFL dealer or manufacturer and they can return the firearm to you without problem. There is some debate about whether you can ship a firearm to yourself. What are you wanting to ship and to whom?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
wait a minute rika when could you not ship guns to a ffl holder via the us mail. i understood that if you were shipping for repair or modifcation, you could ship it what ever was the best way for youself.??? :cool:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
neolithic hunter said:
wait a minute rika when could you not ship guns to a ffl holder via the us mail. i understood that if you were shipping for repair or modifcation, you could ship it what ever was the best way for youself.??? :cool:
NH, I could well be wrong but I believe that only a FFL holder can ship firearms through the mail (whether from or to). As I said, I wasn't sure about shipping firearms to yourself.

Apologies if I have offered incorrect info. Anybody have definitive data?

RIKA

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
my understanding parallels Rika's... quick snippet from NRAILA

Firearms may not be mailed or shipped interstate from one non-FFL to another non-FFL. Personally owned rifles and shotguns may be mailed or shipped to an FFL in any state for any lawful purpose, including sale, repair, or customizing. An FFL may ship a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received. Under U.S. Postal regulations, handguns may be sent via the Postal Service only from one FFL to another FFL, or between authorized government officials.

A person may ship a rifle or shotgun to himself, in care of a person who lives in another state, for purposes of hunting.

Firearms or ammunition delivered to a common carrier for shipment must be accompanied by a written notice to the carrier of the contents of the shipment.
I also thought that person-to-person was OK non-USPS (provided they can legally own it) as long as it's in the same state and the state doesn't have laws otherwise... like CA most likely does.

·
Registered
1 Posts
having problems with handgun shipment

Hi,
I am currently having a major problem with the shipment of a handgun.
I recently moved from Alaska where I legaly purchase a handgun through a registered FFL last year. I decided to drive through Canada, to my new duty station in South Carolina. Being Canadian Law prohibits handguns, I check around and found I could ship my gun from an FFL to another FFL. Being I would be spending a few days with the inlaws, I decided to ship it to a local gun shop in Washington State, pick up the gun and proceed on to South Carolina.

The gun was ship, and arrive. When I showed up to pick up the gun, owner told be I would have to wait 7 days per Washington State Law before I could pick up the gun. This did not make since to me being I am the regestered owner and not purchasing the handgun. To make a long story short, we discussed our situation with the ATF and came to a conclusion that I can not take possesion of my OWN firearm because I am not a resident of the state of Washington. I was told my best bet would be to find an FFL in South Carolina, then become a SC resident and ship it again.

This all does not make much sense to me. any help would be appriciated

Thanks

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Randy you can thank GCA68 for much of the BS. State laws regarding firearms vary widely. Best we can do is live with the laws, reside in a gun friendly state and try to stay out of trouble. I don't even try to understand all the dumb laws.

RIKA

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
One thing of note is that some FFL holders will NOT accept shipment of a firearm unless it is FROM another FFL holder, regardless of the law. Probably just a CYA sort of thing, I would guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Shipping info (Not a "Quotable Document..!) Gen. Info only!

Unfortunatly, this ALL varies from State to State (or even County to County, or City to City, etc...)

1.) In a "Nut-Shell", & "Generally" speaking;
One FFL holder MAY ship to another FFL holder via USPS Priority Mail.

2.) A private individual MAY NOT via USPS in any way. (EVER..!) At the very least if an individual "Sans FFL" is caught using the USPS for mailing Firearms, it will be confiscated & destroyed. You could also quite easily (and most likely will, end up in jail as well..!) (Not just "Overnight" either! (LOL..!); Federal Charges Do Apply..!)

3.) If an individual is shipping from a residence direct; they MAY ship "Overnight Only" via UPS, Fed Ex, or DHL/ Airbourne Express to either an FFL holder, (If the the FFL holder has agreed to receive it..!) or a manufacturer or "Gunsmith" for "Factory service, services, or repairs." (You should always make advance arrangements with whom you are shipping to, or your package MAY be rejected out-right..! Get an RMA# or confirmation # if they offer them or require them.) If you ship to an FFL holder & intend to "Pick it back up from them"; you must be a resident of that State!
A.) U.S. Active Duty Military Personnel "May" ship to a local FFL holder regardless of their State of Residence "IF" they have Legally Signed Orders from a, or to a Local Military Base (or in your area...) for a period that exceed's 90 calander days..; "Again - "Check first..!" If they are doing so, the Local Receivers Laws apply; Not the Laws were they are from! (Again; check w/ the FFL holder first!)
B.) If you have shipped "Only do so Overnight" directly to a Manufacturer for repair/ service or a "Gunsmith/ FFL holder" for same, it MAY be returned from them directly to you at your residense "Overnight." Again, ONLY IF LEGAL IN YOUR AREA..! (You DO NOT necessarily (Check First!) have to state what is in the box, "Unless specifically asked if it is a Firearm"; Generally "Machine Parts" may be written on the "Overnight shipping form" & be legal as it is indeed a machine..!)

4.) IF you ever are NOT sure what to do; contact your "Local ATF Field office"; if you can't find them, call the National Office & ask them to put you in touch w/ the "Inspector In Charge of your area." More usual will be, that you will have to wait for them to contact you in return.

5.) You can always call a local "Gunshop" and ask them; but they may NOT really know for certain how you should proceed w/ "X" transaction, simply because as FFL holder's, they operate under different "Guide Lines" than individuals do..; "You can easily get "Bad Info" in that regard or method..!"
This is all "General Info", and not to be quoted; I am only trying to assist in giving you all general info, "THIS MAY NOT BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE LAW THAT GOVERNS YOUR STATE, COUNTY, OR AREA..!"

I hope this helps a bit, & "Happy Shootin' Everybody..!" :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They went from one FFL to another FFL located near me, I will probably pick them up tomorrow, I am still not sure exactly what I have as no list was provided to me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
lucille said:
They went from one FFL to another FFL located near me, I will probably pick them up tomorrow, I am still not sure exactly what I have as no list was provided to me.
FFL to FFL; all should be fine; just check to make sure what was sent to your local FFL was indeed what you expected. If NOT; "DO NOT accept it upon it's arrival..!" Let your FFL folks work it out... Hope your gettin' something nice!

Good Luck,

Eric :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts