Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I was over on BiggerHammer earlier and people were talking about shooting bags of flour with the blue tip .50BMG rounds. They were saying that the results are worth it. Anyone tried this? Of course, the wife will kill me when she goes to do baking and finds out there is no flour in the house!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Eggs and Aguila Super Maxs are more my speed! Boil for best results...:beer: <`course that's another forum...>;)
anodes.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, from what I heard, hitting a bag of flour with an incendiary round (blue tip), will first create a huge dust cloud of the flour, making a sort of air/fuel mixture. When the incendiary sets it off, it is supposed to be a right impressive effect.

Guess I need to haul out a .50 and ask the wife if I can borrow a bag of flour. You just know I am going to get one of those wifely looks over this one....... :duck:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So Rich,have you tried this yet?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Anyone ever tried this with a 30-caliber incendiary round?

The boiled eggs and .22LR combo is fun for MANY hours, but I'm simple minded.
KJ

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, not enough time with my critters laying eggs right now.

I still haven't sighting in my Barrett 95 with the new scope and have a couple of scopes laying around that I need to mount as well. And I know I have put a couple of guns back into the vault after shooting them that I did not clean before putting them there. Blasphemy!

But nothing I can do about it right now.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
"White flour is made up mostly of starch. If you have read the article How Food Works, you know that starch is a carbohydrate, meaning that it is made of sugar molecules chained together. Anyone who has ever lit a marshmallow on fire knows that sugar burns easily. So does flour.

Flour and many other carbohydrates become explosive when they are hanging in the air as dust. It only takes 1 or 2 grams of dust per cubic foot of air (50 or so grams per cubic meter) for the mixture to be ignitable. Flour grains are so tiny that they burn instantly. When one grain burns, it lights other grains near it, and the flame front can flash through a dust cloud with explosive force. Just about any carbohydrate dust, including sugar, pudding mix, fine sawdust, etc., will explode once ignited.

When you hear about an explosion in a grain elevator on the news, this is what has occurred. A spark or a source of heat has ignited the dust in the air and it has exploded. "

source- http://www.howstuffworks.com/question150.htm

PS, if any of you guys shoot a bag of flour with a blue tip .50, get it on video!

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I plan to do this sometime soon. As soon as I can get time to do some shooting again. Sorry, but I don't have a videocam, however.

I probably will set the bag of flour in front of a metal plate, as I'm not sure the blue tip by itself would be ignited only by striking the bag of flour.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I wonder if you could put one of exploding bullseye targets onto the bag of flour, hit that and still set off the bag.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess a lot depends on how much of the flour is dispersed into the air before the spark is ignited. Lighting a flame in the middle is a dense amount of flour might not do the trick.

Hah! I can hear my wife now when we are at the grocery store... "You want to do WHAT????"

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I do know that sacks of flour look pretty cool when dropped from an airplane...

:devil:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts