Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from the range and was reflecting back on todays practice. The temperature today is around 40F and there is a fairly decent wind blowing. I was doing my usual handgun shooting at 10" steel discs at 25 meters and because of the temperature decided to wuss out and shoot wearing gloves. I use Pilot issue Nomex gloves with a leather palm. They are an excellent glove and give you very good manual dexterity while carrying out complex taskings during cold weather. Upon completion of my shooting, I checked the targets and noticed that my hit number has dropped about 33% from last weekend, when I shot without gloves. Does anyone have any other gloves they can recommend? Conclusion, I need to do more shooting practises with gloves.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Honestly, before reading this post, I had never even considered the idea of wearing gloves while shooting. I guess living in north Florida it wouldn't cross my mind, but even when I lived in Maryland, I never thought of such a thing.

But I think it could be a real good idea. Don't they make sport style gloves for things like tennis players and such? I think they may be worthwhile looking into.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Garand, I think PAST makes some dedidcated shooting gloves. I have never used them, but I know their PAST rifle recoil system works. www.pastshooting.com

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started using the PAST recoil system when I first started shooting the 5.56mm in Service Rifle Competition. I found the stock was shorter than the stock on the FN rifle and the PAST recoil system gave me the additional distance that I required. I few years ago, I bought a pair of cycling gloves with no fingers and, with a padded palm for when I was shooting "pocket rockets". They work great for that purpose. At 40F, I'm looking for a complete glove though. The Nomex glove that I use is fantastic for rifle shooting, but just doesn't give me what I'm looking for when shooting a handgun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts