Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was working on the guided bullet, one of the most important questions was, "What could U.S. military snipers/marksmen do on the first shot with issue ammunition?". My information is old, but it might be of interest.

IIRC:
Stationary, torso-sized targets could be reliably hit from water for a distance of 50 yards, though some claimed 75 yards. Stationary, torso-sized targets 600 yards away could be hit essentially all of the time. Stationary, torso-sized targets 900 yards away could be hit about 2/3 of the time. The main reason for missing long range shots was supposed to be shooter error in range estimation.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I have never tried shooting from the water, but the other data looks good to me. Errors in range estimation certainly can dergade the shooters performance.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Sounds reasonable. I assume these standards are for the ordinary trooper and not for the exceptions who really strive to master their craft.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Oh come on! REAL snipers can get head shots at 1000 yards 100% of the time, and always, ALWAYS aim down the scope of the bad guy (hollyweird tells us so!)! :dgrin:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
torsos are 12"x24", with most of the missing from swimming probably being in the vertical plane. 288 square inches. 4" brain circle is 13 square inches. :) Dead rock cinch Hard Rock can't win this bet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts