Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

shot a pheasant in korea with .45 ball

785 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  John in AR 
#1 ·
range about 4-5 ft. The dog, on a 6 ft long leash, had already walked past the hen. She crouched as she did so and I saw her movement. Because I was wearing a parka, zipped up against the cold, I had the chamber loaded and the gun cocked and locked, in my parka pocket. I would have shot her thru the pocket, but I had a can of pop in there with the gun. I can't remember why? Anyway,, I pulled the dog aside with the left hand and fired one handed with the right hand. I dont remember if I sighted or not. Probably did, but cant swear to it.

She flopped all over the place and the dog grabbed her. There were lifers all over the place, cause we were doing a practice launch of the Nike-Hercules missiles. In order to launch, they had to fire up a couple of huge diesel generators. Those things were so loud that men 50m away didn't hear my .45 blast! That generator noise is why I have had tinnitus for years and that led to the various secondary problems that resulted in my getting a net 42K per year, plus not having to pay sales tax or property tax, which currently means another 3k clear per year. It's also paying my wife to go to college and will do the same for the kid. Wife is due back from Asia the end of the month, kid in tow. In theory, I'll get another 3k per year after the COLA increase Jan 1.

I am in the process of going back to mailed checks for my SS and VA benefits, cause I dont trust the banks. Gold's down pretty badly, but after the election, when gas goes to $6 a gallon by Jan 1, gold's going on a tear. Just watch. They will have emptied our strategic oil reserve and have to re-fill it. That's going to drive up the price of oil in general. So will the situation in Europe, of course. Right now, the Saudis are playing the US game about the petrodollar. but that's going to stop. everyone can see that we're just printing dollars that have nothing behind them. We dont produce/export much of anything anymore. So our trade deficits and national debt can't do anything BUT spike.

See less See more
#2 ·
...That generator noise is why I have had tinnitus for years and that led to the various secondary problems that resulted in my getting a net 42K per year...
Tinnitus led to complications that got you a determination of full & permanent disability?

...I'll get another 3k per year after the COLA increase Jan 1.
Probably about right on that. Looks like this year's cola will actually exceed last year's, and last year's was unusually high. I'm guessing somewhere between 7-9%, but wouldn't put any money on it. I've seen forecasts of even more than 10%, but there's just too many moving parts and too many ways for the govt to cheat the numbers for me to have a hard & fast "gonna be this" prediction on it. I suspect that it "should be" more like 9 or 9 1/2%, but don't think it will be allowed to be that high. One big issue is that since it's based on only three months' economic performance, massaging just 90 days' worth of numbers could impact it substantially, and it's in the govt's interest to keep it down. That is, keeping it down lower is in their interest mathematically and economically; putting it higher can be in their interest politically, in the form of happier senior citizens, who are a higher-than-average turnout at election time.

...after the election, when gas goes to $6 a gallon by Jan 1, gold's going on a tear. Just watch.
Will do. It might do that very thing.

Still curious for your input on your other gold-related threads and the "hot 45 colt loads" thread.

#7 ·
...Looks like this year's cola will actually exceed last year's, and last year's was unusually high. I'm guessing somewhere between 7-9%, but wouldn't put any money on it. I've seen forecasts of even more than 10%, but there's just too many moving parts and too many ways for the govt to cheat the numbers for me to have a hard & fast "gonna be this" prediction on it. I suspect that it "should be" more like 9 or 9 1/2%, but don't think it will be allowed to be that high...
Turns out even an absolute amateur can be right sometimes. It's been set at 8.7%. Combined with last year's 5.9%, that makes a 15.1% increase in social security over the last two years. I'm not drawing social security yet, but having been forced to pay into it for 40+ years, from a strictly self-interest perspective it's good to see it going up some.

#3 ·
...resulted in my getting a net 42K per year, plus not having to pay sales tax or property tax..
I glossed over this initially, not sure if I wanted to comment; but why not. Remember all the times you gave me grief about making so much money, repeatedly (and untruthfully) claiming that I must make over $100k per year? Like it was some indicator of me being out of touch, being spoiled, etc...? Then here, you just out of the blue start going on about how much money you get. At least you didn't try to claim it's how much you 'make', and openly acknowledging that it's how much you 'get'; in the form of unearned handouts.

And it’s good to see that you no longer claim that YOU are paying for anyone's schooling, supporting wifey’s family, etc. The government that you claim to hate is the one that is actually paying for the things you’ve consistently considered brag-worthy. Isn't it...?

And here's the punchline - assuming that what you say here is true, the claims that you used to make about me describe me less than they do you. Per your claims, you're the one out of touch & spoiled, not only because you don't actually produce anything for the welfare you receive, but also because your welfare & disability (ie, unearned) income actually exceeds what I make in a year. How weird is that...? That's right, John - my salary (ie, my earned income) is less than the numbers you list above. For clarity, my income did used to be higher than the welfare numbers you list above, but now is lower. So if either of us is spoiled, it's certainly not me. Your very sustenance comes from the govt handout trough, in the form of unearned welfare payments. Without the entity that you claim to loathe, you'd have to rely on your own actions to buy your groceries.

This is not any kind of complaint about money at all. I'm fine, and have a surprisingly good life - as Dave Ramsey would say, "better than I deserve". Just a comment to point out how well we both have it, and also to remind you that you of all people have it very easy, and certainly have no room to bitch & whine about govt waste or printing of money.

For further perspective and for a stark reality-check as well, the fact is that the money you claim here that you receive actually would put you in the top 1% of income worldwide (an income asowof $34,000 puts a person in the top one percent). So you have the govt you claim to loathe, that makes you one of the richest people on the planet for no earned reason, while you repeatedly talk about how awful they are.

Might be worth thinking about – the entity that you consistently bash gives you handouts on a regular basis.

#4 ·
100% disability for hearing loss not due to combat? Yeah, sure. Mine is for loss of hearing DUE to combat and it's less than 1/3 third of that. $42,000 clear from government handouts? How? Social Security has to be minimal since you never worked a steady job. How do you avoid sales tax and personal property tax? You aren't exempt for any reason I know of. Also, how is your Wife qualified for money from the VA? I must of missed that one. The penalty for shooting a Pheasant in Korea, they were a protected species in the 1970's and still are as far as I know, was five years in prison, like shooting a Bald Eagle her, but five times that in prison time. Where did you get the .45 and ammunition? Just took it out of the Armory? Uh Huh. Isn't wonderful how the Government lavishes all this free money on a man who was been incarcerated for a large portion of his life. In short another fairy tale post.

Reactions: BigEd
#6 ·
Yeah, more "storying"....
This is one thing that tossed at least one red flag up after dealing with my mother's financial matters until her passing 6years ago:
Font Number Electric blue

So making claims of not having a SS/SSI or VA payment directly deposited anymore ???
Some explaining needs to be done there.😑

*-BTW, That's a screenshot not a live link.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.