Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Honestly, I was never much a fan of the AKs, but now I 've gone and ordered a couple of the Veprs in 5.45x39. Finally found someone that had some for sale RIGHT NOW.

I don't know why I never gave them a second glance before, because I do like the Valmet and Galil, so I would think I would have warmed up to the AK models as well.

Oh well. That's the curious thing about guns. Just because you don't like something today, there is no guarantee that next year it won't be tops on your wanted list.....

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Nice looking rifle SC. I have a SAR1 too. How do you like the rail on top of the gas tube? Could you tell us where you got it.

Thanks

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
That's only true if you dont know what you want to do.

I"ve had the same goals, therefore nearly the same choice of calibers, loads, guns, etc, for over 20 years now. About the only thing that's changed anything is the .50 and .30 AK uppers for the AR, and the advent of the 12 ga rifle grenade, and those haven't changed anything in the last 10 years. 30 years ago, I decided I was a shooter, not a collector, and a combat shooter, at that. I look at new action types, etc in terms of whether or not they do anything (of real value) better than what I already "like". The answer has always been "no", so why waste time and money on them? The "newest" design that I favor is the 20 year old M21 Beretta pocket .22lr, and then it's only to be used in cocked and locked format, with a speed lever being added to the safety.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rika,
That is an "Ultimak" rail and I like it , I have tried various red dot scopes and while they work, none yet sits low enough to co-witness with the mojo rear/standard front irons. I'l keep looking for one that works, perhaps an aimpoint, but am reluctant to spend the $. I ordered it directly from Ultimak, it was about a C-note give or take, installed in about 5 minutes, making sure it was not canted is one recommendation I can make, just use a bubble level and tweak as required before you tighten, for the last time.
Rich, I set out to get a brace of rifles that were issue to the adversaries invoolved with each other during my formative/military years. I started with a Bushmaster AR-15 and then bought this SAR-1. I grew to love shooting this one because it has character, history, and likes to "push me around" when I shoot it. I am more fond of it than I ever thought I would be, guess one reason is because I shopped alot and found a good one that is as accurate as any I have seen , has no canted sights, and is easy to work on--replaced the FCG with a Tapco unit and it is sweet and crisp at let-off.
SatCong

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Hey, Sat Cong,what say you to the old side rails for the PSO type optics?They could be had,most likely souce would be a browse of the Shotgun News. i think Arsenal still offers them as an option,maybe along with Kvar.BTEW, how goes the new gig?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The new gig is like the old gig (freelanced for twenty years before becomeing an employee) but I approach it a little differently and have no regrets about leaving the corp. world. I kinda miss the med benefits, but, hey, that's where the VA comes in.
My SAR 1 has the side rail and is ready for a commie scope mount, but I tend to eschew anything that sticks out on a weapon, if possible. Just one of those lessons learned from the old Navy days. If it sticks out, it will drag on something or hang-up when least convenient. Since the weapon was made to sweep germans off of tanks at 50 meters, it will still perform that task, so the scope thing is not a time critical evolution, and I will bid my time 'til the right solution to this non-problem comes along.
Thanks for the interest, Gripper.
SatCong

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
SatCong, is the Ultimak rail for the SAR-1 the same as for the Russian AKs? I.E. does it also replace the gas tube, or is it just the separate mount?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Magnum,
Same same, it replaces the gas tube, rail is intregal. They also make one as a nifty add-on for the M-1 carbine. My gunsmith has one on his carb and is totally infatuated with same.
SatCong

1 - 9 of 9 Posts