Arms Locker banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shotgun technology has always fascinated me. A few weeks ago, I had a chance to try a new short-tube shotgun gauge conversion system. It shot really well. While it didn't pattern as well as the custom tubes that skeet and sporting clays competitors use, it patterned significantly better than any other "drop-in" short-tube, gauge conversion that I've ever tried.

Often with gauge conversion tubes that are shorter than the barrel, the pattern is an erratic doughnut shape. Because the shot exits the tube while the pressure is still high, the sub-caliber shot cup expands, losing its seal, letting the gas blow through the shot. When the shot encounters the choke, its effect may be unpredictable.

I've seen similar short-tube systems that also stacked to give 12ga.-to-20ga., 20ga.-to-.410, or 12ga.-to-.410, but never that patterned well enough for skeet. The inventor claimed to me that his system used the shotgun's choke. This appeared to be the case. However, a medium choke shot tighter than normal and a skeet choke shot more like a modified choke. Although I didn't want to make the inventor uncomfortable by asking, I suspect that he may have incorporated a bell-choke at the end of the tubes.

The inventor is starting to market them himself...a tough job. As soon as I can get his information, I will post it.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Interesting post. GB, would you have a comment about some of the sub caliber devices marketed. Ex: the converter that lets you shoot 32acp in your 308/06/30-30 etc.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RIKA,

Some of these converters are pretty good because they feature deep enough rifling to accurately shoot the bullet. The catch is that they have to fit snuggly enough to be aligned, yet loosely enough not to stick in the chamber of the shotgun.

I have a friend of many years who has always experimented with converters. He had one that would shoot primer-powered, plastic pellets and another that would shoot .22LR (the subcaliber barrel was offset to allow the shotgun's firing pin to fire it).

One day while at his house he fired a .22LR rifle indoors, much to my surprise, and a white blur emerged from the barrel! It seems that he would pull the bullet from a .22LR cartridge and replace it with a tiny ball of toilet tissue. Soon he was firing these from the shotgun with the converter at various paper targets inside.

As for pistol caliber converters for rifles, I've read the adds and played with some that belonged to friends. It's only useful if it's accurate. For the same weight as a converter and the second ammunition, you might be able to carry an accurate .22LR pistol.

The accuracy of a subcaliber device in a rifle may suffer due to the much tighter rifling. It is possible to spin a bullet too fast, allowing imperfections in the bullet to throw it off course. However, the .32 ACP fired from a .30 .30-30, .308 or .30-06 rifle should be fine. Most .30-30's, .308's and .30-06's have 1/12 twists, with some .308's and .30-06's having 1/10 twists. Some .32 ACP pistols have 1/16 twists, but Taurus uses 1/9.84 and SIG uses 1/10, and they are both known for producing accurate pistols.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts