Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
You don't really need a whole lot of background for killing squirrels. Get yourself a NEF single shot 12 gauge for under $100 at Wally World and some 1 1/8 ounce, 3 DE, #7 1/2 loads (trap loads). That should bust them right smart out to around 30 yards. 1 1/4 ounce, 3 1/4 DE, #6 field loads will extend your range some.

I don't remember what the choke is on the NEF, mine is set up as a dedicated pressure barrel with the choke cut off and I don't use it in the field. Any choke from Modified to Full will work fine for your use.

One of the biggest myths ever perpetuated about shotgun "truths" is the deadly efficiency of the Streetsweeper / Riot Gun and a cylinder bore choke (no choke at all). To be effective at any range over about 10 yards, Buckshot should be used with a Full Choke. It still won't be very effective over about 30 yards (hits kind of chancey), but within that range can be devastating.

DC

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.