Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 229 that fires .40s&w without a hiccup but often fails to return to battery when firing .357sig. I have tried swapping out springs but have not been able to eliminated the problem. Any suggestions?

G

·
Could be a number of things. Can you give more detail? Is the .357 barrel SIG or aftermarket? Was it drop in or match fit?

Someone that Gunkid fears

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Hmm, I have the same setup and never had a hint of a problem with it. Got the rails well oiled and slicked up? Probably the recoil impulse is much sharper with the .357SIG than with the .40S&W, so maybe the slide is binding slightly. Just a guess.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has occured with both the Sig factory barrel and an aftermarket one. The springs all work fine with the .40 so I don't think they are the problem.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have only used the Sig factory .40/.357 mag. I've fired several thousands rounds total, mostly .40. I once fire more than 300 rds without a random FFT. Not the case with the .357 barrels.

The issue with the .357s *appears* to be with the underside of the barrel block (some signs of wear). Could it be oversized and catching??

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yeah, I think it is something binding ever so slightly. Newton's law is probably having an effect. You are pushing more mass out the barrel with the .40S&W then you are with the .357SIG, and it is making a difference.

Maybe some polishing and smoothing of the sliding surfaces will help out.

G

·
the recoil with the 357 load can be

MORE. depending upon the loads involved. Use a vernier to check some comparable dimensions on the 2 barrels.

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Yes, it can be more in total recoil, but the impulse is different. The .357SIG feels much sharper in recoil than the .40S&W. That could be enough to make a difference on moving the slide back. If the slide is catching at the peak of recoil with the .357SIG because it hasn't moved back as far as it would be at the peak of recoil energy in the .40S&W, that could make all the difference.

As I mentioned, this is just speculation on my part and is what I would look at if I were having this problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The most common reason I have run into causing this problem in any handgun is the feed ramp. Either the angle is off a bit or a good polishing is needed. A little bit of fitting and tweaking of the barrel to your specific gun is probably all that is needed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing official, but is appears that the block is off slightly and is binding on the frame. I have stopped using the .357 Sig barrel and just shoot the .40. It is still one of my favorites guns. MOF, I put Coco Bolo wood grips on it......totally pimped :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.