Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The can has to be so huge and heavy that you'd have no choice but to shorten the barrel AND telescope the rear 1/3rd of the can back around the barrel. That would leave you with about a 5 rd mag capacity. So when you choose such a lever, it's like choosing a revolver or a shotgun. It means you won't have the major advantages accruing to the man who DOES have a sound suppressed rifle, especially an autorifle.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
7 lbs of .44 lever rifle, 3 lbs of .44 pistol,

and 15 rds to the lb ammo. how much of it will you have? add in a 2 lb .22 pistol and 135 rds to the lb .22 ammo, how much will you have? How much foraging do you think you can do with it, much less fighting? Got luminous sights and rustproof finish on it? chromed bore? flashhider? Pretty dumb to be without those things, if shtf. You won't have more wt capacity than about 50 rds of .44 mag ammo. Without a flashhider or silencer, and being stupid about the .44 revolver, that 50 rds ammo will be gone FAST. Probably in the first week of shtf, if not the first day. :) then what? You have to use a (field recovered) AK or an AR or Mini-14 anyway, but one without a silencer, .22 unit, luminous sights, scope, cheekpc, etc, etc. In other words, you'll have lost a lot of the advantages of such a rifle, because you were too lazy-stupid to set one up properly BEFORE shtf. You wanted to play cowboy with your lever action, and now it's pay-time and you'll have to eat it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Why would one want to in the first place?

Lever action rifles have their own unique sets of pros and cons, just like every other gun.

They are decently performing PC weapons that have the ability to put out an acceptable punch. They arent tacti-cool but they sure as heck have a place to many people and in many situations.

To many, they are also fun guns to shoot. While I personally dont ever plan on owning a lever, I can see how they would be of interest and fun guns, in addition to their "just business" purposes.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i can't remember who it is but i did read some where on the net that a company was making superessors for 45/70 rifles. i don't know why they would but there must be a market for them. :cool:

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys THINK that they are "the choice" for shtf, that's why, and they are obviously fos about that. They do nothing that the sks doesn't do better, for a lot less money, both for gun and ammo, and they can't touch some of the things that the sks was built to handle.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
DaRkWoLf said:
While I personally dont ever plan on owning a lever,
What a sad life you must live. :bawling: Poor guy. I feel your pain.

All joking aside, when hog hunting in thick brush (which is VERY, VERY fun!), my lever action "dirty-30" is the FIRST gun I think to grab. It might be the only one I'll grab until I manage to snatch up a .45LC lever action rifle, too! In my eyes, they are perfect for those situations, and you could NOT ask for better!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
KJUN said:
What a sad life you must live. :bawling: Poor guy. I feel your pain.

All joking aside, when hog hunting in thick brush (which is VERY, VERY fun!), my lever action "dirty-30" is the FIRST gun I think to grab. It might be the only one I'll grab until I manage to snatch up a .45LC lever action rifle, too! In my eyes, they are perfect for those situations, and you could NOT ask for better!
I can see the attraction, and utility of the things, but there really isnt anything that I need one for. Now if one suddenly showed up at my doorstep, so to speak, Id probably shoot it every now and then for fun, mabye a little hunting with it; but I cant see myself actively trying to procure one. I just dont have a real niche that one can fill.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Shoot some cowboy matches, you'll have a niche.
Hog or deer hunting with a good lever is also a great way to enjoy the day.

Some people just don't get that a supressor is not a necessity, nor is SHTF everything in life. Get over it, get a life.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
DaRkWoLf said:
I can see the attraction, and utility of the things, but there really isnt anything that I need one for. Now if one suddenly showed up at my doorstep, so to speak, Id probably shoot it every now and then for fun, mabye a little hunting with it; but I cant see myself actively trying to procure one. I just dont have a real niche that one can fill.
You really don't do much hunting, do you? I'm not talking about from a box blind with a perfect rest, etc. I mean, what I consider, REAL hunting. On the ground, stalking, driving, whatever. No slight, but it just sounds that way.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
KJUN said:
You really don't do much hunting, do you? I'm not talking about from a box blind with a perfect rest, etc. I mean, what I consider, REAL hunting. On the ground, stalking, driving, whatever. No slight, but it just sounds that way.
Ive never shot from a blind at an animal, and every hunt Ive gone on has been stalking. I agree with you entirely on "real hunting."

As per how often, most here have gone hunting alot more than me; but I have had a fair share of hunts, mostly wingshooting, but I have gone varminting (not on a rest either) on a few occasions, and informal boar hunts. Only been deer hunting once though.

Usually, if I go hunting to harvest, its because Im asked to; which is always an enjoyable experience. Otherwise, Im happy with a camera.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The AWC Nexus suppressor will work on a Marlin .44 magnum rifle for suppression. Check the specs for the length and weight and make your own conclusion.

Mike

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I believe that Hiram Maxim successfully suppressed a Win 94 LA with 1/2 mag around 1900 or so. The LA wouldn't be my first choice for shtf but wouldn't feel unarmed either. I really enjoy hunting with the LA 30-30 and 45-70.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He can do anything with the 308 auto that the .45-70 lever or 44 lever can do, and a LOT that the levers can't TOUCH, and have the practice ammo cost 1/3rd as much, so he's RIGHT to not bother with a lever action.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
If the balloon ever goes up, some of use have numerous other options. For example;

Attachments

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The can has to be so huge and heavy that you'd have no choice but to shorten the barrel AND telescope the rear 1/3rd of the can back around the barrel. That would leave you with about a 5 rd mag capacity. So when you choose such a lever, it's like choosing a revolver or a shotgun. It means you won't have the major advantages accruing to the man who DOES have a sound suppressed rifle, especially an autorifle.
no, the suppressor doesn't have to be that big or bulky. No, you would not need to shorten the barrel.

You really need to get a clue about modern suppressors. People are suppressing lever guns, I've seen quite a few.

And, since they are a LEVER ACTION, no sound is escaping from the ejection port. In the case of the AR, you're either dealing with the noise from the ejection port, or you are turning it into a single shot by either shutting off the gas or otherwise preventing the action from cycling.

They have fast followup shots that will be quieter than fast followup shots from a suppressed AR.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Never suppressed the .44, 45LC, or .454 leverguns, but had my old .357 one suppressed a long time ago. With full loads it will put out more power than a CAR shorty, and with subsonic loads, the 16" barrel and sealed breech make it literally BB-gun quiet. And even with the suppressor attached, it's about the same size as a stock 10-22 rimfire.

I liked the result so much that I soon after added a factory rail and a red dot.

That gun's taken a LOT of nuisance critters like possum, armadillo, etc, with subsonic loads, and will just about turn a fox inside-out with 125-grain HP's, running more than 2,000 fps even from this short a barrel. In this particular gun I stick with bullets of 158 grains or lighter, since Rossi uses a slow twist rate and I don't trust it to stabilize anything heavier than that.

I've had it for probably 20-25 years now (probably 15 or so with the suppressor) and it has a lot of rounds thru it; the action is now as smooth as butter with almost any load, and I trust it hugely. If I couldn't have a semiauto for defensive purposes, this one would be one of the guns in consideration for that role.

I've praised it online for probably 20 years now, and have really brought it up online a LOT since having it suppressed. Don't know if I helped influence the market, but Rossi does now offer factory versions very similar to it now, in both .357 and .44 calibers:

I don't really like the added length of the recoil pad (and certainly don't like the lawyer-inspired safety that they now come with), but I do like the concept a lot. Love mine.

Attachments

Reactions: Dorobuta

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Guys THINK that they are "the choice" for shtf, that's why, and they are obviously fos about that. They do nothing that the sks doesn't do better, for a lot less money, both for gun and ammo, and they can't touch some of the things that the sks was built to handle.
They are a choice, and they are very good for a lot of things, including horseback. they pack well, and tactical reloads are easy - insert a round into the feed gate. Depending on the rifle, they can shoot heavier loads than an SKS, and are handier in thick brush. The cost isn't a factor for some, so it's a non-issue. I wouldn't choose one off the bat, but I wouldn't be under gunned if it was what I was stuck with. As someone once said, "how much missing are you planning to do?"

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Have a few older Marlins that I like to shoot an reload for. 30 30, 41 Mag, 444 Marlin, 45LC, 44 Mag. 357 Mag., have S&W wheel guns in the pistol calibers. Wouldn't mind finding a mint 39A but ain't paying the price they want for them these days.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts