Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
With Melvin's lack of flexibility, lack of versatility, inability to think outside of a narrow box, if his version of WROL happens, what would give him the impression he could last longer than 48 hours? If that.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Guys THINK that they are "the choice" for shtf, that's why, and they are obviously fos about that. They do nothing that the sks doesn't do better...
As much as you yell about how crucial it is to keep things as lightweight as possible, it's interesting that the extra ~3lbs of the SKS doesn't bother you. That weight difference means I can carry my carbine PLUS a handgun for the same weight cost as carrying just an SKS. For that matter, the SKS ammo is slightly heavier too, but I'm not yet wimpy enough for that little difference to matter. (To be fair, when I'm your age, I may be that wimpy; never know.)

Plus the SKS can't be easily topped off after firing a partial magazine and can't be topped off PERIOD unless you take the gun out of battery and eject the chambered round, unless you open the magazine from the bottom and try to finagle rounds manually staggered in from underneath. Not a real smart option when under pressure. (I'm surprised a "gun guru" doesn't know this, but I suppose it's the difference between actually using an SKS and simply 'thinking about' using an SKS...)

My suppressed levergun, on the other hand, can be topped off at ANY time, without even taking it out of battery. It can even be fired during the topping-off process even if there's a round partially loaded; so even if you get startled with a round halfway in the loading gate, the gun will still fire the round in the chamber. That's kind of handy if defensive use is on your mind.

And not only is mine lighter, it's also shorter. Yes; even with the suppressor attached it's still shorter than a stock SKS. Oops.

So mine is shorter, lighter, and is hugely better for tactical (I hate that word) reloads if needed. And it uses ammunition that will work for defensive use, small game use, large game use; it will launch bullets with more power than full-spec 45acp GI hardball while still being quieter than my Gamo pellet gun, and it will launch bullets with up to 50-60% more power than your recommended 10" CAR does; and does all that without any adapters, jury-rigged slide/bolt locks, or conversion kits. Those are all relevant factors for a "shtf use" gun, at least if you're going to actually use one.

But I guess if you're only going to think about using a tool rather than picking up that tool & actually using it, physical and functional specs don't really matter all that much. That must be nice.

Reactions: Dorobuta
21 - 22 of 22 Posts