Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They are right now showing all about silencers on the history channel.

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
ya!

i seen it, and they had some on it on wild west tehc. with one of those carridine brothers the other night!

thanks.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Watching as we speak.Funny,nothing about window screen,flat washers,or pvc?

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
Not in Canada!!

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
that's because THEY had/have $50,000 to spend on punch presses, lathes, mills, etc. Do YOU have $50k to spend on such? My way works just fine, and anyone can do it, with a little $500 bench lathe, and skills you can learn in 1-2 days. Now go shove it, ignoramus.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Saw it last night. (Just got satellite tv installed a couple weeks ago.) Short segment, but interesting.

And I was glad to hear them mention that using a suppressor will make the gun much more dirty, much faster, than without. I didn't know that before I got mine.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
if you have to fire more than 5-10 rds, any one engagement, the silencer is going to be pretty irrelevant, other than its ability to prevent muzzle flash at night, and eliminate any real reason to flinch, that is.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well,whatever.I want one now.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
some people DO wake up, eventually, at long last

all serious shottists WANT a silencer, they just don't wish to spend the money, go thru the crap, get on ATF'S radar screen, etc. So they are in DENIAL about their interest in them.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I can't speak for 'everyone', but I put off buying one for years, even though mildly curious about one. Then within a month of receiving my first one (centerfire 5.56), I ordered my second one (.22LR, integral on Mark2 ruger pisol).

So, I'm clearly "sold" on them. Now, is my wife sold on them...? :duck:

Frankly, these days I can understand the desire to stay "off the radar screen" regarding ATF ppwk and making one illegally, but not something I'd do myself or advocate doing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
John, I also noted they said it dirtied up the gun (and a 11 pos CAR is a dirty gun to begin with). They also said it heated up the gun fast also.

If I get one, it will be per ATF rules. See, if you have ever bought guns with the yellow paper (I have), have a CCW permit (I have), have MET ATF agents (I have), then them knowing I have guns is a forgone conclusion. Notice that since stup*kid was busted for making such, THEY already have his number!

If I get one, it will be the top of the line version (unlike gunboobs hack job pos.)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
DJetAce,

That is correct, suppressors heat up the barrels faster and they get the gun extremely dirty. There are a few designs that aren't so bad but it mostly depends on the caliber and operational system of the gun. The best rifle to put a can on is a bolt action. The worst is a semi or full auto gas operated gun.

Mike

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
DJetAce said:
...They also said it heated up the gun fast also...
Very true; in the owner's manual for my AAC, it warns repeatedly about that. According to the book, with sustained semi-auto firing, it can hit 600 degrees farenheit. Full-auto can make it 800 degrees. Something like 11-13 degree rise per shot, I believe. Doesn't sound like much on the surface, but figure it's an 80-degree day to begin with, just firing one 30-round mag reasonably quickly, the suppressor's going to be very hot.

(30x11)+80 is what, 410 degrees..? That's hot, and from just one mag. :hot:

When done shooting, I've got to let it set a few minutes before I can remove the suppressor and put it back in the case. Even then, it's still very hot, just "bearable" to touch for a second or two at a time to dismount.

(Still like it, though... :) )

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
fastest draw I EVER made was after sticking silenced .22 Ruger inside pants, after firing 3-4 shots in a second. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts