Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do anything that needs doing, and you can lay hands on all 4 for $650, if you look around a bit. The only serious problem is the wt and bulk of the 2 longarms, but if you have a spouse or teenager to lug some of it for you, it's a very versatile, low-cost set up.

If you want to add a shotgun for sporting purposes, a used, $50 single shot 20 ga, 3" mag chamber, will handle that chore nicely. If you want some long range sniping-big game capability, $200 worth of scoped, test-fired Mosin should give you 350m of reach, which is a great plenty, with good quality Western made sp ammo. I haven't checked, but I assume that by now somebody is making such. If there aint, it would be at least a good sideline-income for somebody.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Andy, I have to compliment you. Every post I have seen this morning so far has been of excellent quality and very helpful. I hope that you will keep this kind of posting up.

RIKA :)

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
If you are financially challenged it is a bare bones selection. For those that can afford more, they can select something that is more appropriate for their requirements in their geographical area.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
" if you have a spouse or teenager "

Or, as ta Marinf cadance count goes

"I don't want no teenage queen,
I just want my M16!"

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I'd pretty much agree on the "bargain battery" with the exception of the HP-22. I have fired several and my nephew own's one. Poor accuracy and reliability just isn't there. Too fragile also. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If we are not talking about any customize all the above will do what is needed. Same as a Mak, or second hand Ruger .22 rifle or pistol. I've found Ruger 10/22 rifles used for $85, and MKI .22s, blue, for $130. Not bad at all. And a real sleeper is a Maverick .12 guage shotgun. I've got one and I've shot 2 others and they never jam. Maverick is made by Mossburg with just a crossbolt safety like a Winchester shotgun.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Suprisingly enough,when I had an HP-22(with the extra 5inch barrel)it shot WAY better than its price suggested.Accurate,amd with one exception(bad ammo-early Aguilar)shot EVERYTHING without a hiccough.Hey,it was small enough to hide easily,and you could put 11 rounds of MiniMag solids where you wanted in a hurry.And cheap enough to plink around&practice with.
SKS is always good for a "go to"on a budget.Still one of my favorite"in case of emergency grab&run"deals,a well shot SKS with 200 rounds on stripper in a Chicom canvas rig.Not upscale,but if you stay within the limits of the cartridge you'll be a handful forwhoever is threatening you.Yugo teak makes a good club ,too :dgrin:

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
gripper said:
Suprisingly enough,when I had an HP-22(with the extra 5inch barrel)it shot WAY better than its price suggested.Accurate,amd with one exception(bad ammo-early Aguilar)shot EVERYTHING without a hiccough.Hey,it was small enough to hide easily,and you could put 11 rounds of MiniMag solids where you wanted in a hurry.And cheap enough to plink around&practice with.
SKS is always good for a "go to"on a budget.Still one of my favorite"in case of emergency grab&run"deals,a well shot SKS with 200 rounds on stripper in a Chicom canvas rig.Not upscale,but if you stay within the limits of the cartridge you'll be a handful forwhoever is threatening you.Yugo teak makes a good club ,too :dgrin:
Gripper, maybe it's just my bad luck to only have shot "lemons", but the HP-22 does not impress me. I've shot three and all had scatter shot accuracy and only one shot fairly reliably. My nephew keep's his because it was his Father's. Also, we like to shoot it when we need a good laugh. I agree about the SKS's. The Chinese ones came with those nifty chest pouches. So did the AK's. I keep one pouch loaded with stripper clips for a back up Alarums and Excursions rifle.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Another idea for a budget battery:
Since Andy here likes the 5.56,any thoughts onthe newer versions of the Keltec SU-16?I'm also curious about the ones that (may not be in proecuction yet ) that fold at the stock tang instead of the receiver.
Me?if not the SKS(or Kalashniklone variant)quite a few of the surplus bolt guns lend themselves well;either as stockers ,or with a few tweals;that 1916 Guardia Civil Mauser(coverted to .308 back when Spain switched to that as a service load).Or ,if you're blessed,one of the old Federal Arms .308 Mausers(with the oddball American Eagle stamp& a straight bolt).The Israli Mausers were sweet too,but AFAIK they're harder to come by.
If NATO spec caliber is not a requirement,Moisin-Nagant M44s are useful,once you work outthe shooteing quirks.M38s carry lighter( a little shorter&no bayonet),but I appreciated the extra weight when shooting some briskly loaded ammo.I'd go with the 91/30,but if length is a concern....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts