Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small Gold Coins for Survival

I think small one tenth or one quarter ounce gold coins might be a very useful thing to have in many possible emergency scenarios where credit cards, checks and even paper money might be wortless. Such coins minted in a number of countries are currently available in the United States today. These are what coin dealers and collectors call bullion coins. They are not collectors coins. Their value comes from the amount of cols they contain. Their dollar value is determined by their weight and the value of an ounce of gold on the world market which fluctuates.
Lately the price of gold has been between $390 and $440. If gold is at $400 per ounce then a one tenth ounce gold coin will sell for that plus a few dollars extra which gives the goverment and the seller their profit.
Which coins are best? I think an American citizen is smart to stick with US coins which anyone can recognize from their markings. A Canadian would probably want to have Canadian coins.
A few ounces of gold are a small light package easy to carry and easy to conceal. In an emergency and could be used to buy things you really need or for bribes if that is necessary for your survival..
If you decide that you want some gold coins accumulate them a few at a time and from a number of sources that you do not create a paper trail. This is not being paranoid, but is simply common sense. Why? Because the government may try to cofiscate all gold coins as they did in 1932.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
If you go with gold, by all means go with the bullion coins. Salesmen will tell you that the "numismatic" or collector coins are 'non-confiscatable' meaning that the government can't/won't take them just as they took only bullion during the 1930's. This is BS. The govt can and will take whatever they want to. I think its an excellent idea to have a few small gold coins as well as some silver coins ... BUT only after you have all your other survival supplies.

Besides, they make a great glittery Christmas gift. :)

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
it aint just a few $ per 1/10th oz coin, it's about $20. I agree that they are useful, but I wouldn't buy many. Instead of lots of small ones, get mostly half or full oz, if you go over $2000 worth. You can cut them up into "quarters", ya know Such pcs of coins were accepted in the 1800's, and will be again. Never trade such if you could trade some RENEWABLE resource instead. See if your guy will take jerky, bark, roots, some service you can perform. Never trade a coin for a finished product, like a loaf of bread, when you could have gotten a bushel of wheat, instead, and made LOTS of mealy-meal out of it. Screw the baking, it aint worth the resources that it takes.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
andy said:
Instead of lots of small ones, get mostly half or full oz, if you go over $2000 worth. You can cut them up into "quarters", ya know Such pcs of coins were accepted in the 1800's, and will be again.
Nope. Do NOT cut up gold coins. Smart traders nowadays know exactly what each gold coin weighs and will not only check weight to the 1/10 of a grain but check carefully for counterfiets. Small denomination well known coins are best.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
You probably don't need a hell of a lot of gold. It'd be best to have silver coins for "common" purchases, and save the gold for large purchases, etc.

·
Registered
779 Posts
andy said:
it aint just a few $ per 1/10th oz coin, it's about $20. I agree that they are useful, but I wouldn't buy many. Instead of lots of small ones, get mostly half or full oz, if you go over $2000 worth. You can cut them up into "quarters", ya know Such pcs of coins were accepted in the 1800's, and will be again. Never trade such if you could trade some RENEWABLE resource instead. See if your guy will take jerky, bark, roots, some service you can perform. Never trade a coin for a finished product, like a loaf of bread, when you could have gotten a bushel of wheat, instead, and made LOTS of mealy-meal out of it. Screw the baking, it aint worth the resources that it takes.
Good point about not trading real value gold(or anything else tangable/non-disposable) for disposable items. Trade in renewable items is better.

Also, what good would gold be anyway? Really? It would be good IMO if the economy recovers to its previous state where cash is king. But if we go into a cashless society, where everything is handled electronically, then what value is gold?

If I was a farmer, post SHTF, and someone came up to me with a $500 kruggerrand, I ---MIGHT--- give him a $500 chicken, if I was feeling very generous.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Kent, you have absolutely no knowledge of history do you. First of all, we will never go into a totally cashless society. Millions of people will resist such a transition as it is perceived as the mark of the beast. There always has been and always will be a black market and underground economy. Gold, among other things is welcomed there. Everybody wants gold because of its perceived and intrinsic value. In times of war and civil upheaval especially, gold - diamonds etc. have been used to pay bribes and save people's lives. As far as buying a chicken for a Krugerrand, I assume you were joking because no one should be that stupid. Everyone with any sense will have trade goods to buy the smaller necessities in life.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
there will NEVER be a "cashless" society. They use stamps and cigarettes as "money" in prison. There's a MANY BILLION $ blackmarket in prostitution, illegal gambing, dope, illegal booze and tobacco, etc. That is NOT going-away just because Big Brother puts out a plastic card. MILLIONS are going to resist taking a chip in their bodies, and thousands of those are going to resist in an EFFECTIVE manner. There will NEVER be a TRULY cashless society.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
SHTF won't last. It CAN'T, People KNOW better, and that knowledge is mostly SAVED, in books, etc, so the rebuilding wont take long at all. I'll take all the gold that I can trade a readily-re-newable resourse for.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Rika, actually I do like history, and have read quite alot.

I agree that there will be an underground economy. That is obvious. But I believe it will be based on barter, using real goods, not gold. Gold has perceived and intrinsic value and our economy WAS based on it. Not anymore. Now money has the value assigned to it by the Federal Reserve. In a truly cashless society, gold and gems will be, for all PRACTICAL purposes, just pretty metal and rocks.

My concern is this: If/when we go to a worldwide cashless society, there will be a way to enforce the rules governing this. There will also be ways of detecting this (RFID chips) trade.

For example, if you have bought shoes chipped with code x, then you had better account for those shoes with code x, becuase code x has been linked with your individual implanted chip.

If you pass a scanner wearing shoes chipped with code Y, which hasn't been sold yet according to government databases, or belonged to another person, expect a visit from Big Bro. They are going to want to know where those shoes came from.

The stranglehold will be based on economics, IMHO.

The underground economies of the past have never had to deal with the technology that is available today.

How many "chipped" people would trade with you, if the penalty for trading with you is death? Because of this technology (which exists NOW), what PRACTICAL value is gold?

I come at this subject from a christian perspective. Millions will resist taking the mark, and millions will die as a result. My working days are numbered, and because I see this cashless society coming, I have been spending money like it was going out of style, because it IS going out of style. Those that refuse the mark will be outlaws, literally living outside the law.

Before anyone accuses me of being some kind of doomsday cultist that wants the world to end so Jesus can come back (it has happened before, on other boards), let me just say this. I would love nothing more than to live out my life in peace. I just don't see that happening.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Hey Kent, what you say is in line with the Bible. Sorry if some don't like it, but I suspect more from this group believe the same way.
Thing is, you'll have to be trading with people who are also outlaws. I.E. you'll be living like a frontiersman. You won't be wearing Nikes, you'll be trading for shoes made by someone who is a genuine cobbler (or the closest you can find) for whatever you can make. Gold has more value in the limited SHTF scenarios where it isn't a worldwide thing.

Me? I'm not saving my cash, I'll spend it while it's worth something. SOME, gold, and some silver would be a good idea, as it is portable. But I'd also recommend spending some of that cash, while it's worth something, on SKILLS that could be useful, once you're no longer a part of society. Life is a lot harder when living on the primitive.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree. Some gold might help, but I don't put my trust in it. You're right. Knowledge and ability are better.

Living outside the law is going to be rough. I think I have enough to make a go of it, but have my doubts. I have never "roughed it" for any length of time, so I have no real idea what to expect. But we see it coming, and have more of a chance than Joe six pack and Susie Homemaker living in the suburbs, oblivious to all this.

One thing I know. I can imagine different scenarios, about this subject and others, all day long. But when reality hits, it's always much worse, or much better than I anticipate. It's the not knowing I don't like.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
The only thing we can realistically do is get as braod a range of skills as we can, and equipment that will last, and can be pressed to heavy use. If we make it, we make it. If not, we don't have to worry about it anymore. I for one, am not going to piss my life away wringing hands over whether or not the world will end in my lifetime. I plan on enjoying myself as much as possible. I'm just lucky that a lot of what I enjoy is applicable to survival.

For those around here that stop their lives (not accusing you of this, BTW) and do nothing but live in fear, they might as well be dead.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Magnum88C said:
The only thing we can realistically do is get as braod a range of skills as we can, and equipment that will last, and can be pressed to heavy use. If we make it, we make it. If not, we don't have to worry about it anymore. I for one, am not going to piss my life away wringing hands over whether or not the world will end in my lifetime. I plan on enjoying myself as much as possible. I'm just lucky that a lot of what I enjoy is applicable to survival.

For those around here that stop their lives (not accusing you of this, BTW) and do nothing but live in fear, they might as well be dead.
True words Magnum. You guys speak for me also.

RIKA

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
so they will have to SHOOT a few jbt's so what? The punks will get the MESSAGE, and leave people alone about their "black market" activities. there's a millon commissioned cops, and 1/4 or so of them are BUSY doing REAL police work 3/4 of them ARE wasting their time on traffic and dope bs, but HOW are a million cops going to police the everyday activities of 220 million active adults and teenagers, hmm? Sure, 90+% are nothing but sheep, and will rat on the other 20 million, but how are you going to imprsion 20x as many people? how can you do WITHOUT the taxes those 20 million guys USED to pay, hmm? how can you afford to care for their FAMIILIES when you lock up the wage-earner? HOw can you afford the 20k a year that it takes to keep EACH inmate? 400 BILLION $ a year? where you gonna GET the extra 4-5 MILLLION cops and prison guards, hmm? The snoops to find OUT that somebody is dealing in cigarettes, shoes, etc? I could have all the dope I WANTED, while in the HOLE at a federal prison, man. The "cashless society" will never be a realistic threat to anybody with some fighting heart and ingenuity. Doesn't worry me a bit.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
andy said:
so they will have to SHOOT a few jbt's so what? The punks will get the MESSAGE, and leave people alone about their "black market" activities. there's a millon commissioned cops, and 1/4 or so of them are BUSY doing REAL police work 3/4 of them ARE wasting their time on traffic and dope bs, but HOW are a million cops going to police the everyday activities of 220 million active adults and teenagers, hmm? Sure, 90+% are nothing but sheep, and will rat on the other 20 million, but how are you going to imprsion 20x as many people? how can you do WITHOUT the taxes those 20 million guys USED to pay, hmm? how can you afford to care for their FAMIILIES when you lock up the wage-earner? HOw can you afford the 20k a year that it takes to keep EACH inmate? 400 BILLION $ a year? where you gonna GET the extra 4-5 MILLLION cops and prison guards, hmm? The snoops to find OUT that somebody is dealing in cigarettes, shoes, etc? I could have all the dope I WANTED, while in the HOLE at a federal prison, man. The "cashless society" will never be a realistic threat to anybody with some fighting heart and ingenuity. Doesn't worry me a bit.
You make some good points which I have agreed with in the past.

However, in all seriousness, if it's so easy to get away with it, then how come you personally got tossed in the slam so many times?

BTW: The cost of '20K' per year per inmate will probably go down in the case of an emergency as conditions dramatically worsen and methods become harsher. For instance, how much do you think it cost to keep someone in a Soviet style gulag.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
because I wasn't willing to kill a cop. It would have been VERY easy. u TRY putting Americans in a gulag, and SEE what happens. :) we aint ALL unarmed sheep like the Russians were and are.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
long before it gets to be a cashless society, a few hundred guys are going to WRECK Big Brother's plans.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
There's 3-4 guys in EVERY prison who'd poison food at a dozen supermarkets, in a HEARTBEAT, and there's hundreds of prisons. So pick a few, and bust them out, that's all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts