Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. had to post something! Am I the only one who appreciates these weapons?

Ruger is junk compared to the S&W in big calibers..

TexasGus

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
Have to agree with you there. But I lean more to Colts than Smith and Wessons. But I do have some might fine S&Ws in the vault that I would not be inclined to part with.

I have never even looked twice at Ruger handguns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'm a ruger fan.i've owned two s&w's that is what i would call junk.they were a 19 combat 357 & a 38 det. they were in the shop more time's then i could count.i finely got smart and got a ruger.they will work any time ,will out shoot any thing . the loads i use hot to hot for a s&w and colt combind.the ruger is just one fine gun in my book.thats just my 2 cents .

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sounds like the old Ford-Chevy-Mopar argument to me! :argue:

I own many Colt's, a few Rugers and 0 Smith's. That's is just within those manufacturers. I also own Kimber, NAA, Charter arms.

I only have an issue with one hand gun of all those makes I own. The Ruger Vaquero, when the loading gate is opened, does not lock up in a spot that allows loading or unloading. You have to catch the cylinder between clicks to insert or extract a round. I have since found out that all new model Blackhawks and Vaqueros have the same 'little quirk'. It seems to be an intentional flaw or just flat out poor engineering. I absolutely LOVE my old three screw Blackhawk and my Bearcat (10/22's also!)

I haven't fired the Charter Arms .38 Off Duty so no opinon there yet!.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rugers are junk? Well, the .45 Colt loads I regularly feed my Blackhawks would totally detroy any S&W made. Also, S&W .357's won't stand up to a steady diet of full-house loads. My Rugers will. Junk? Idon't think so.

DC

·
Site Founder
4,814 Posts
I guess it is just a personal preference and aesthetics thing. Rugers just are not pleasing to my eye, and I have yet to pick one up that felt good in my hand. Can't really explain it in any detail as it is just one of those things. Like why some people will find one automobile attractive and another not.

I thought I might have wanted that revolver they make in .480, but darn it just does not feel good in my hand, and looks awful. But probably other people just love it.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
i love my 6" smith&wesson model 27 i'm thinkin it will hold up to magnum loads alright.. you are correct in that the ruger blackhawk is a very robust handgun that holds up well under those pressures. as for accuracy i've got no complaints as with the right load my n frame does just fine thank you!

·
Registered
187 Posts
.45 COLT said:
Rugers are junk? Well, the .45 Colt loads I regularly feed my Blackhawks would totally detroy any S&W made. Also, S&W .357's won't stand up to a steady diet of full-house loads. My Rugers will. Junk? I don't think so.
:) This is true; but only if you're talking about the, 'K' frame 357's; and, yes, I'd have to agree that, in general, Ruger makes a much stronger revolver frame than S&W does. However, in my experience, S&W factory triggers are far superior to Ruger's out-of-the-box, 'creepy-crawlers'. (I'm, just, trying to be fair!) ;)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'm a big Ruger fan, too. I haven't had much love for S&W for a few years now. As far as the snubbies go, I'm still VERY partial to my Taurus revolvers.

Hmmmm, my Black Hawk is the "better gun," but my Taurus Tracker in 45LC is one of my FAVORITE handguns to shoot! I just wish the grip was BARELY larger.

KJ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts