Arms Locker banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A guy can study under me for 6 months, and know

more about realistic guns, ammo, and shooting than everyone else on this board put-together. No brag, just fact.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats the kind of hubris that is off-putting. It rings of a certain neediness for approval and is just the way not to acheive same. From your posts, I believe you would be the least appropriate mentor in shooting or life lessons.

SatCong

·
Registered
44 Posts
andy said:
years longer than somebody else, so what? That means exactly nothing.
Sure it does. It may possibly mean a few things:

1: 20 years is a long time, and depending on how much of that 20 years was spent at the range or in the field a few things could have been learned...

a. Spending 20 years slow fire plinking gives a tremendous amount of time to very accurately learn to judge distance - that is incredibly important for not only hunting, but survival as well if the situation ever arrises.

b. In 20 years of "plinking" as you put it more than likely you're going to have minor (or maybe even major) repairs to perform on your firearms. In 20 years, you can learn a damn lot about repairing firearms and optics.

c. Most important of all is that in 20 years you've probably made about 2000 or more mistakes out at the range in some fashion or another. If you are a semi-intelligent human being you've more than likely learned a lot from those mistakes. That leads me directly into number 2...

2: You've gained 20 years of wisdom that others do not have, and they may not have for about 20 more years.

3: This is my favorite -- We've had 20 years of pure, unadulterated fun ;)

-Temujin

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Okay, I will comment on your being a mentor. Let us assume that I am my current age: 24 yrs.

First I think that you would do very little if any shooting because of your PO. I think that you would be a very hard taskmaster demanding that I excel beyond what I thought was possible. Only problem is, I think that you would probably structure each lesson to be beyond what is physically possible so I would always lose. I think that after losing so many times to your standards of the top shooters and being berated for being stupid and dumb and imcompetent that I would finally walk away in disgust.

John Davis, you have some strong points but your weakness is your mouth.

Rich, if you have a problem with this please PM me.

RIKA

·
Registered
44 Posts
Raider said:
Okay, I will comment on your being a mentor. Let us assume that I am my current age: 24 yrs.

First I think that you would do very little if any shooting because of your PO. I think that you would be a very hard taskmaster demanding that I excel beyond what I thought was possible. Only problem is, I think that you would probably structure each lesson to be beyond what is physically possible so I would always lose. I think that after losing so many times to your standards of the top shooters and being berated for being stupid and dumb and imcompetent that I would finally walk away in disgust.

John Davis, you have some strong points but your weakness is your mouth.

Rich, if you have a problem with this please PM me.

RIKA
You are exacty right. That is the biggest problem with we "old farts," even if we don't admit it all the time. I'm guilty of this a lot, and my kids are quick to point it out to me. You see, you are actually lucky to be young -- you have a lot more time to train properly, not just train. There is a huge difference there. Most of us "old" guys did not have the tools at our disposal or the plethora of knowledge available to you guys when we started shooting.

As we get old we also concrete-minded on things that are important to us (even if we are wrong). That is a huge handicap. You just have to speak up like you just did to make us see the light at times ;)

If you were speaking to me about "being a mentor," which I am assuming you were due to me being the one who made the "old" comments -- let me make something very clear:

I am no mentor, or at least I sure do not want to be one. I'm a student for life! I have to see it that way so I always continue absorbing knowledge from others and learning all that I can about my interests.

-Temujin

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Temujin,

There is no icon for salute. I do it anyway. Thanks.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
"A guy can study under me for 6 months, and know
more about realistic guns, ammo, and shooting than everyone else on this board put-together. No brag, just fact"

STUDY UNDER YOU?

ROTFLMAO.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
I've been on the range 50 plus times, so far this year. That means in a 20 year period I've spent over 1,000 days on the range! Remember you spent 15 plus years being a prison "punk". That shooting doesn't count. I have spent 20 years becoming proficient with a wide variety of firearms. I have had the opportunity to buy what caught my eye and sell that didn't work for me or my circumstances. Your 6 months experience can't even come close to my 20 years of shooting. Your still over 600 days of experience behind me!

While you were in jail with your friend bubba, I was spending thousands if not tens of thousands of hours at my reloading bench perfecting the loads for my chosen firearms. You have no teaching credentials behind you, while I spent thousands of hours in the Army teaching a wide variety of topics, including but not linited to basic military training, drill, all aspects of firearms used in the military from .22 handgun to 106mm Recoiless Rifle, fieldcraft, land navigation, etc. You have no substance, others here do. A good instructor must have and instill confidence, you are constantly looking for approval for wasting your life as you have. You have proven that you are unable to even control a military police dog without beating it. I can give unbiased advice based on a wide variety of circumstances that the individual faces, while you have demonstrated the ability to be a "1 trick pony". I can give advice based on 15 years field experience in combat arms units around the world. You are limited to 3 1/2 to 4 hour exercises(with required potty breaks) sneaking around the back yard.

You lack real world experience, in worlking under stress successfully. I have many years of the required experience. I am trustworthy, you are not trustworthy enough to be given the job of cleaning my cats litter box. Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Slow fire, if combined with steady nerves and smarts will outdo .25 second misses anyday. Anyone who falls appart in competition, shooting target stands, dirt in front of targets, getting their shots all over the paper is someone who will be 'first' to lose.

A slow fire shot can be a very deadly shot. It's the fool who 'thinks' their fancy draw speed is a be-all-end-all that will be the one on the ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts