Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, for many years I did, in fact, do this. Even though I owned several progressive reloading presses and had (literally) thousands of dollars' worth of ancillary reloading equipment and supplies, between my work and shooting demands I could not keep up with my own need for ammunition—especially pistol ammunition.

So, I went to a man I knew for a number of years who also owned a gun shop, and had a large reloading business—He was an active government contractor! For the next 5 years he supplied me with the additional ammunition I needed in order to keep up with my own 2,000 fired rounds per month shooting requirements.

Yes, on occasion, he did give me some poorly made ammo, but never any 'exploders'. If I handed him back a dozen, or so 'bad rounds' at the end of the month he always credited my account for them too.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
In the past 10 years I have bought ammo at 2 estate sales, one was 5,000 rds of 12 gauge trap loads. The gentleman who made this ammo up had a good reputation as a shooter. His ammo was found to be wanting, very under powered for even trap. I dumped it on a friend after I notified him of my discovery.

About 2 years ago my local gunstore/indoor range phoned me up and told me they just got in 3,000 rds of .45LC reloads/brass/bullets from an old Cowboy Action shooter that just entered a hospice. I bought them with no knowledge of the load. I chronoed them out of an "Original" Ruger Vaquero (built like Russian tank) and very glad I did. They gave off a power factor of 240, I normally use a 120 PF in my match loads.

If the price is good enough and I get enough background, I will give it a try, its not something I'm making a habit out of.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
There are two people whom I trust their reloads and who trust mine. I would not trust anyone else to make loaded ammo for me.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts