Arms Locker banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in nearly every situration. I'll use it to cut a 3 ft long sapling and prefer that as a weapon over the Bowie, too.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Both have their place, and a wise person would carry both. Depending of the type of Bowie knife, you'd more than likely have cut the sapling and be long gone using the bowie in a third of the time the multi-tool is going to take.

The Bowie will also take a lot more abuse than the multi-tool ever will. But they each have their respective uses and proper applications.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A multitool's saw -- even the Victorinox, which has the best wood saw -- is inefficient at best. The multitool has a lot of good applications, that it's a must-have, but it can't replace a good heavy-use blade.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It probably good to define the roles that each tool intends to fit, since over compromise can render good ideas impotent.

For a small tool, it's important to choose between versatility (multitool) and efficacy as a weapon (fixed or folding knife than can be concealed, rapidly deployed and has useful blade geometry). If your small tool is your primary, I think many of us would hedge our bets towards the fixed/folding knife unless we plan to work.

If the smaller tool becomes a secondary, I think it changes the dynamics towards versatility with regards to the smaller tool. For a primary blade however, I think it's hard to beat the machete as countless conflicts worldwide have shown its versatility as an edged tool and how fearsome it can be as a weapon for very little cost.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once MY full sized multitool is available, the Sog will make a fine "adjunct" for small work.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A shovel that's 13 or more tools in one. That will take a while to get developed, but it's coming.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
being able to adjust it would be important, esp with something readily available.

"full size" folding knives seem to have been doing very well. If the overall weight were kept low (e.g. skeletonization, use of Al/Ti on select parts) and the primary blade were easy to deploy it would help make the tool much more practical.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've got a couple of the SOG tools I picked up on closeout at a Wally World a few years back.

I prefer them to the Leatherman Tools I've used.

But better than a good Bowie?

No way. Both are good to have though and have their uses, IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts