1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday, August 26, 2004

August 13, 2004
FOXnews

The Mounties are still trying to get their beer.

More than a week after 54,000 cans of Moosehead lager vanished on a New Brunswick highway, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police tracked down the truck driver who had been hauling them.

RCMP Sgt. Gary Cameron told the Canadian Press wire service that Wade Haines, 30, was not yet a suspect, just a "person of interest."

The 18-wheeler, still running, and its empty trailer were found in the parking lot of a McDonald's on the Maine-New Brunswick border after Haines failed to show up at a Toronto depot Aug. 16.

Haines himself was located Tuesday in southern Ontario.

"We are speaking with him," Cameron said. "He is not under arrest. No one is under arrest."

As for the beer, which was destined for Mexico and has labeling in both English and Spanish, it's been turning up here and there.

Owen Larson, a farmer in Woodstock, New Brunswick, saw a Ford pickup lose a makeshift trailer on a country road Monday night, then speed away.

The trailer veered into Larson's field, where it overturned, dumping about 5,000 cans of the hot lager onto the ground, where many of them broke open.

"We hope the bull doesn't get into it and get tight," said Larson's wife Donna.

Four empty cans were found discarded in and around Fredericton, about an hour south of Larson's farm, earlier this week.

Cameron thinks whoever stole the beer, worth about $60,000 in U.S. currency, didn't put a lot of thought into the heist, and, due to the publicity about the case, is having a hard time selling it off.

"It's a crime that lacks sophistication," he said as he stood in front of a Woodstock dumpster filled with recovered cans. "I think if they had known the labels were in Spanish, they probably wouldn't have gone ahead."

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
When I went through my Basic Military training, it was down east. When we were allowed off base during the 26 weeks we were there, we were forced to drink some of the most retched beer known to man. It was called Moosehead, I know why its being dumped :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
No wonder they were sending it to Mexico. They even sell it here and people buy it - probably because its imm=porrtt=tedd.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
You mean people buy MoosePiss here?

Countdown to deletion. . .10. . .9. . .8. . .

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Reminds me of the days of hanging out in a local park along the Long Island railroad frieght tracks in Queens (one of the 5 counties that make up NYC). One day after a game of handball or paddleball, we went through our hole in the fence and up onto LIRR property to look for lost balls. Someone gave a warwhoop, and much to our pleasure we learned he just discovered a stash of miller High Life beer. Someone had partially off loaded a frieght car (illegally of course) a few days before. The LIRR police, the FBI, the NYPD, NYFD, and the insurance guys all helped themselves to case after case of the beer that was still in the freight car. Well our friend just found about 100 or so cases of beer in the bushes. Of course I never had any of it because I am that kind of a guy, but I can say the other guys thought it was great even if piss warm....

So yes I can understand how someone would drink Moosehead - if it was free. Otherwise it would be just the same as Miller High Life - worthless.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Try some Frankenheim or Warsteiner. Thats good stuff. Yum!

RIKA ")

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I am drinking a Paulaner Heffe Weizen Bier right now from a stein my son Brendan bought for me in Germany. He spent a lot of his own money on the stein and somehow his being so generous makes the whole experience better. You see, even though it is a great bier on its own this one tastes better than usual.

Oh oh, time for another......

Lousy pic attached but it gives you an idea, #646 of a 1,000 too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guinness Extra Stout - real beer must be chewed :D

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Guiness = Chocolate Milk with a tiny head and a weak taste

If you want to try a real beer, actually an ale, then try an Ommegang. This stuff is 8.5% and has a taste to kill for. You probably will not like the first one, but the second one has done it every time with everyone who has drank one with me. They make a few other fine ones too.

I'll put up any German against any Irishman any day, then throw in an Englishman, an Australian, and a Belgian Monk, and hold the party in New York (lots of beer from everywhere in the world here with lots of pubs, taverns, alehouses and pretty women), and we can all enjoy the ensuing Bacchanalian delight...

By the way, here is a line from the Ommegang Breweries description of their Ommegang Ale:
At 8.5% abv, it is known to cause spontaneous meditation.
Here is the web address, maybe you can have your local distributor order some up for you: Brewery Ommegang
Where brewing is an art and partaking is a passion!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
By the way, if you have never had a Paulaner Hefe Weizen Bier, try one you likely will be surprised happily.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
The absolute worst I ever had was Carlings Black Label that had sit in the sun for probably a year or so in 100 degree weather. Our battalion was rewarded with one case per man after a 23 day operation. You have never seen such a bunch of sick puppies in your life. Everybody threw up at least once. Talk about stupid! And they gave us automatic weapons. Makes you wonder, does it not?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Positively the worst beer I ever had was Genessee. Even after 22 litres (yes LITRES!) of beer, 4 daquiris and a six-pack of Coors light (hey, when I went to college, I WENT TO COLLEGE), it STILL tasted sh!tty.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
Everybody will probably hate me but I just couldn't drink beer ("pour it back in the horse") until I was introduced to German and some of the other imported beers. My liking imported beer isn't a snob thing but rather a taste thing. If I'm out, I'll drink one beer of whatever is offered to be sociable - but only one.

Hey, heres a question for you. What do you think of a man (well off financially) who drinks one kind of beer but offers his guests a cheaper brand when they visit.

RIKA

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Raider said:
Hey, heres a question for you. What do you think of a man (well off financially) who drinks one kind of beer but offers his guests a cheaper brand when they visit.

RIKA
He's a cheap bastard and a lousy host.

PS, I like the imports better, too.

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
During my 1 year "vacation" in the Middle East I picked up a taste for Heineken. Frankly it was the only beer over there that didn't taste like camel piss, and that includes British beer also. Twenty plus years later, I still love sucking up a "green grenade" and I also serve it to my friends also. Its $11 and change for a 6 pack up here, but the quality makes it worth the money.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Holy COW! And I thought I was getting raped at $13.99 for a 12-pack!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Well, speaking of worst beers: BLATZ BEER once, while oon a fishing party boat off of NYC, my brother, myself and a friend drank two or thee cases in a few hours of fishing. It was cheap as piss, warm as piss, and less tasty than piss (don't ask how I know please).

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tadcaster Oatmeal Stout, probably one of my favorite beers that's locally available besides Guinness Extra Stout.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts