Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon a friend called me to ask about someone that I knew, Col. Nick Rowe. She had read about him on a news website in relation to an anti-Kerry article.

Few people in the twentieth century could have defined surviving SHTF like Nick Rowe. Col. Rowe spent the sixties in Vietnam, five years as a P.O.W. I met Col. Rowe during the period when most of America was trying to forget Vietnam and those who sacrificed there. He came to my university a couple of times a year to speak. Most of the audience were bored R.O.T.C. students forced to attend. When Col. Rowe finished speaking the first time that I heard him, only a handful of folks remained to talk to him; I was one. He so impressed me that every time he came to campus I would meet him after he spoke to talk privately. Fortunately, I kept my mouth shut and morphed into a sponge, memorizing his every word.

Col. Rowe was not a big, hulking, RAMBO-ish, steroid puppy, commando type. He was about 5'6" and of very average build. If you passed him on the street you would assume that he sold Buicks or plumbing parts, or maybe that he ran a diner. When he spoke you had to concentrate to hear him.

He bore no hatred against anyone. He was one of the few truely forgiving people that I have met. He held no hatred against his captors. I told him that I could never be as forgiving as he was.

At the first opportunity I would always turn the conversation to survival lessons that he felt were most helpful. The one SHTF skill that he believed was the most valuable of all was flossing with a grass fiber; not shooting, looting or fighting, just taking care of your teeth.

He was a better man than the world will likely ever know.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Read his "Five Years to Freedom". As the British Tommy said to Gunga Din, Your a better man than I am...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SatCong said:
From what little I know of him, Col Rowe embodies "warrior".
SatCong
To me Col. Rowe represented what Special Forces was originally about, "a well-armed Peace Corps". He was the kind of person that folks would naturally trust and follow.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I read his book, 20 some odd years ago. He was a very impressive soldier. He died before his time.

·
Registered
10,279 Posts
I never heard of Col. Rowe until you mentioned him but he certainly sounds like a warrior. Everything that gunclod wishes to be but can never achieve.

RIKA

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Rowe sounds like he was an impressive man.

223 fan said:
I had that problem licked by age 21, I had the Army pay for my dentures.:)
Toothless at 21?

Did they rot out or get knocked out?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
mike, think about that question! Its obvious isn't it?

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
mrostov said:
Toothless at 21?

Did they rot out or get knocked out?

Remember the girl with the slingshot? . . .He probably kicked her dog, and she kicked him. :dgrin:

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well, I've dealt people fresh from rural southern Indiana, like off of some pig farm, and some of those people make Appalachian hillbillies look like cosmopolitain socialites.

They litterally produce people that have made it to their 18th birthday who have only bathed in their life when they fell in the creek or got caught in the rain.

We're talking about people who whould have to climb up the social ladder to be considered poor Whte trash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts