Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
and other times, I effing KNOW it. What the alone contestants SHOULD do is just use a tent for the first month of the show,made out of poles and the 20x20 tarp It can be made in half a day and stuffed with dry debris in half a day. Then, in one day, they can pile up brush, logs, debris into a 10x6x6 ft pile, cover it with the 20x20 tarp, pile 3" of small debris on the tarp, wet it down, let it freeze, repeat 2-3x, until a man can stand upon the structure with no sense of 'give' under his feet. The layers after the first one can have more water, since the previous layer wont let the water just run off like the tarp would. Cut an 18" hole in the down wind end of the Quonset hut, make a woven bough/withe and ice door, 1" thick, with a handle on both sides, Remove the logs, leave the brush and debris as bedding. Pack loose debris between the door and doorway, Presto, rock solid, air tight shelter, just like an igloo, but without snow being neeed.

This shelter is good to -20F without any external heat source, given their 6 layers of clothing, debris between each layer, being up on 3 ft of compressed dry debris, inside of a reflective tyvek bivy, with a 10x10 tarp folded twice, debris between layers, pulled over them (on the diagonal) Use the heated shovel to melt the 20x20 loose from the hut. Fold it 3x, stuff the folds with debris. Pull dry debris over the bivy, pull the 5x5 tarp over the debris, pull debris over the 5x5, and pull the 5x10 ft tarp over them.So they'll have 2 ft of compressed dry debris over-around them, plus their clothing, debris between the layers of clothing, plus the reflective tyvek bivy, plus 10 layers of tarp. That's how they dont need a fire and dont need a sleeping bag. they launch in mid september. google a weather chart. They'll never see 0F for more than a couple of weeks, at most.

This shelter saves a week that the dummies waste on a shelter, and 2-3 weeks that they waste on hauling and processing firewood. (ie, 2 hours and 700 calories per day). They can save another week normally wasted on boiling a gallon of drinking water per day in a pissant 2 qt pot, instead of stone-boiling 3 gallons of water at a time in a tarp lined pit, and storing the surplus in the sleeves of their jacket. It aint sub-freezing for a month after they launch. They have lots of other layers of clothing, so it's no big deal to use the jacket as a canteen for a week or two, until you can make the needed pottery.

All shoreline mud has workable clay in it. You just have to know how to seperate it from the loam, sand and debris. Make four 1-gallon each baked clay pots and lids. Boil water in them by setting them around the fire and then building a ring of fire around the pots. To store the water, lash the lids onto the pots, with a strip of your shemagh on each as a gasket. Put them close to you in the debris inside of the hut, and the water wont freeze.

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
I find it interesting that it doesn't require a external heat source, but he's using a heated shovel.

This is all theory on his part, and I applaud him for the considerable time he has spent obsessing, er, thinking about it. However, thinking and doing are two different things. He really needs to put his theories to the test and document it with pictures. The documenting and having actual evidence of doing these things would do amazing things for his credibility - like gain him some.

Boati, I really hope that one day you accomplish whatever it is you are trying to do. Providing some evidence of your work would be helpful to your efforts.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Melvin, talk is cheap, accomplishments are not. By the way my wife and I shot our first outdoor match this year, last weekend, had a hoot. How's your wife progressing as a competition shooter?

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Come on, John - participate in your own threads. I made no insult or anything, just asked a serious question.

First, welcome back.

Secondly - and this is a genuine question - do you really think a person could function (move, do things) well or much, wearing that much bulk?

·
Super Moderator
2,316 Posts
After what ....22 or 23 years now I'd like to see some evidence beyond his old state. DL/ ID photos. And 3-4 Dremelled up cast bullets; from that far back in time.

Now, I don't believe 2-3 pieces of outdoor kit in a photo would be incriminating for anything at all period.

I don't know of any current mobile phone that doesn't have a digital camera.

Now if you don't want to post anything picture wise that's entirely up to you.

But you could at least reply to people that respond to a thread that you started.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts