Arms Locker banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is almost 200 lbs. it will have some zinc, aluminum and steel in it, and you 'll lose almost 1/3rd of the lead's weight in oxidation and general crud, when you flux and skim the molten pot. good clean lead like that, however, is worth $ 1 per lb. to a caster. so, with an hour's work, that gift is over $100 to you and with a long, hard day's work, it's 5000 160 gr lrn 9mm's, easily sold for $6 per 100 slug bag or $50 per 1000 at your local gun show, or combat shooting match. about $20 an hour for 12 hours, total, not counting your time to and from the shows-matches. If you would be going to those anyway, hey, the time doesn't count.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Actually, I have fund in the last couple of years, up here, very few tire shops are giving away lead. They will charge you for it, and the percentage of lead to other ingredient's are not the same as they were 20 years ago, resulting in less lead per bucket full.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true enough, but it's MUCH cheaper at the tire shops than at the scrap yard, 3-4x as cheap, and the impurities are in the scrap yard wheelweights, too.

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Haven't tried scrap yards yet.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I get all the free WW I want here. It pays to be on a "friends" basis with owners. I have about 1,600 pounds melted and cleaned, ready to be cast and a "raw" collection of maybe 2,500 pounds.

DC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts