Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with Spartan Gunworks?

http://www.spartangunworks.com/

The price tags on these guns are astounding, but a cheap gun can be the most expensive, so I was wondering if anyone has handled/heard reports of these pieces? Anything worth buying?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Those used to be sold under their own name of Baikal.I understand that Remington bought the importing rights to them.Buying up the competition as it were.I have a Baikal SXS.I like it well enough but I don't claim to be a shotgunner so it's relative quality is lost on me.The wood to metal fit & finish is nice & even.The checkering is distinct w/no overruns or crushed areas.& the bluing is,while not spectacular,no worse than any other sub-$600 shottie I've held.Not a bad looking stock either.All in all its a "nice" gun.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
If those are the Baikal shotguns, they are Russian-built, and built like a tank. Guys who shoot the high-end shotguns say they feel like a brick and swing like a flagpole. But for those who've never shot a $40,000 shotgun, they seem to like them fine. Supposed to be a good gun for the price. The "rabbit-eared" SxS have been showing up in cowboy matches.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I'm particularly interested in the single barreled .410, or maybe the 12 ga. Within my price range. Anyone have experience with these guns in particular?

·
Registered
9,701 Posts
Hold out for a good double 12. I bought a 30" Stevens double 12 a few years ago for $150 (cdn), polished the chamber and used it for 4 years in Cowboy Action shooting. With practice, it is amazing how quickly they can be reloaded and brought back into action.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Garand gave good advice, hold out for the double. Around here, the pawnshops are flooded with shotguns, many of them doubles which cost less than a new single does. Just inspect them and make sure the barrels aren't dimpled and they are straightm and the extractors/ejectors are in working order. It's hard to go wrong with a used shottie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts