Firearm Forums - Arms Locker banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this case....

Went to my favorite LGS and looked around.

Found something I always wanted in my favorite "MK" Edition.
A Ruger MKII Target 4 point whatever inch in blued finish. While I'm partial to Stainless steel I'm not going to nit pick.
All I'll say is thank goodness for 3 month layaway.
No pics didn't think of it at the time.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Good deal. Ruger 22 autos are awesome. First cartridge pistol I ever had was a 6” Ruger standard model; paperwork done by one of my brothers in I think 1977, before I could legally own one.

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Don't get me started, I've bought 2 guns in 2 weeks and I'm supposed to be downsizing.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Do you have a tire wholesaler in your area? We have one near us, and total cost for our last set of tires just two weeks ago was right at $240 total. $40 each for the tires (new, 'pull-offs' from dealers) and $80 for mounting & balancing. Before finding these people we were paying full retail, and now are paying about a third of what we used to.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Ed - I texted my son, and he says their name is "Tire Tracks" in Rogers. If it's like the one we use relatively close to us, they sell some used tires, but also sell a lot of new tires that dealers pull off of vehicles. When someone buys a vehicle but wants different tires or different rims that require different tires, they sell the factory tires pulled off the vehicle to these people crazy cheap.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, that's who I deal with.
There's one down in Fayetteville too.

Yeah, on some vehicles and sizes they can get some good buys.
Unfortunately for what I needed size and type wise nothing pull off was available.

I know that I wouldn't turn up my nose if something that'd save me 40-50% or more off of a "new" price came up.

Plus, the threads were getting thin.
I got two on the back 10ply Kumho and hope to get two more in a bit.

They're also one of the few places around here left that'll break up a new 4 tire set like that.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Yeah, so am I plus juggling getting new tires on my truck and a few other things.
2 weeks ago, 4 new tires on my XTerra ($798.00), had the transmission flushed, differentials flushed, etc, Total $1,600.00. I feel your pain.

Sold my Stainless Ruger Mk II bull barrel about 10 years back, excellent pistol, accurate, ate virtually every .22 on the market, was a royal pain to reassemble after cleaning though.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
MKII 6 7/8" barrel. I've had it for 25 years and it shoot's as sweet as when I bought it.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part

Reactions: BigEd and Garand

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got a picture.
Not picking it up today but putting more money down.
Can't do anything for the glare sorry.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
Superb accuracy and they never seem to wear out.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part

Reactions: BigEd

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Ed, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen specific barrel profile. Looks like it might actually be pretty comfortable. I kind of prefer a slightly muzzle-heavy gun and that looks good.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only time I ever saw one wore out was one that was bought used by an old WW2 Veteran and friend of mine. Gunshow find and Ruger replaced the barrel. IMHO I think the previous owner or owners didn't like the take down procedure. So someone probably cleaned it from the muzzle end with a cheap rod.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen specific barrel profile. Looks like it might actually be pretty comfortable. I kind of prefer a slightly muzzle-heavy gun and that looks good.
John, I know I liked the 5.5" target model I had with the bull barrel but this one feels pretty nice as well.
I'll know in about a month or so.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And it's out and I had it up at the Crowder Conservation Area range.

Worked pretty well and I even managed to take it apart and put it back together okay.
It was or is initially stiff and I don't think that after looking at the internals it's been shot much.
I kind of wish I had the original box with it but I don't.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry Gun accessory

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I'm still himming and hawing about the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. The store dropped the price $25.00 to $799.00 on 01 Jan. Just trying to figure what and when I would use it? I contacted the store, it is lightly used, has a transfer bar and according to the serial number was manufactured in 2018. I just can't conceive of any practical use for it during my regular shooting regime.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
I'm still himming and hawing about the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. The store dropped the price $25.00 to $799.00 on 01 Jan. Just trying to figure what and when I would use it? I contacted the store, it is lightly used, has a transfer bar and according to the serial number was manufactured in 2018. I just can't conceive of any practical use for it during my regular shooting regime.
Didn’t you say you reload the .30 carbine round? That would factor heavy into my decision if I was in your place. When it comes to deciding on selling, buying, or keeping a gun, caliber is the biggest factor for me anymore. On one side of the field, if it’s in a caliber I don’t already shoot, I definitely don’t want it. On the other end of the spectrum, if it’s in a caliber that I shoot and reload and cast bullets for, I could be seriously interested. Anything else is somewhere in between.

I also don’t like having just one gun in a given caliber. If that one gun breaks or is out of commission for whatever reason, then all the ammo, components, etc, are useless unless/until it’s repaired or replaced. Too much ‘eggs in one basket’ for my comfort zone. The only exception I have to this is 22TCM. I used to have a double stack 1911 and a G19 conversion kit in the caliber, and when I sold the 1911 I kept the glock conversion kit to play with.

Being that it’s a caliber you reload for, that it’s a revolver, and that it uses a .308” bullet, would it lend itself to some interesting outside-the-box loadings..? I don’t know the twist rate on the Blackhawk, but if it could use bullets heavier than the typical 110-grain stuff, having such a wide selection of bullet choices might make it a decent platform for some heavy-bullet thumper loads. Don’t really know how well it would do for that; I don’t load the caliber and never really looked into it, just thinking out loud so to speak.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Yes I am loading .30 Carbine, but I already have a number of Rugers single actions, in .357, .44 mag & .45Colt

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
(y) Looks good. Ruger .22's aren't the most high-tech of pistols, but they seemingly run forever.
Yeah I do wish it had a drilled and tapped receiver (in this pistols situation I think that's correct) so I can put on a little RMR type optic. Later on I may either buy one of the new light weight Ruger MK-IV's or "assemble" one of the Tactical Solutions uppers and Volqaurtsen frame assembly.
If I want to do a dedicated silenced pistol.
One thing I regret is Millet Sight Co. getting bought then going out of business.
Or, the custom sight division of IWI.
As I'd love a white front dot or line front replacement sight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.